11.19.2010

Horn Homeschool: Week 11

For week 11 of our homeschooling ventures we took a much-needed week OFF.

It was, in a word, blissful.

We did NO school work whatsoever.  I was tempted to do some minimal school-related tasks but thankfully I did not go down that road.  No handwriting, phonics or math worksheets.  Just playing, casual reading and lots of free time. 

Taking a break gave us the motivation to jump back into homeschooling refreshed and ready to learn!  

If you homeschool, when do you take breaks?  Do you just tailor the breaks according to your family's needs or plan on taking regularly scheduled times off?

3 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

Do you normally homeschool 5 days a week? I want to homeschool but after reading about the way you do it I'm not sure I could handle it! You're so organized and creative!

Unknown said...

Kelly: Oh my, PLEASE don't base your decision on me. I started out the year doing WAY too much and now I'm settling down into a more reasonable schedule of homeschooling tasks. Also know that what I'm doing is just my own stuff as I see what Chloe needs and can handle. When you use a more formal curriculum like sonlight, they give you a prescribed set of instructions with very specific times/expectations. Doing sonlight kindergarten amounts to 1-2 hours of instruction per day -- you could definitely handle that!

Unknown said...

Oops, just realized I didn't answer your question . . . nope, I don't usually do formal "school" 5 days a week. But we certainly do learning-related tasks every day -- especially reading.