5.26.2011

Horn homeschool: Week 33

For week 33 of our homeschooling venture, we did a short study on drama and the performing arts. 

During the last few months of our homeschooling co-op, we had endeavored as moms to create more opportunities for our kids to present projects in front of the group.  So, we concocted a few poster-style project and each kiddo got a chance to present his/her work to the others.  It was GREAT to see how they blossomed and grew in confidence through these mini-projects!

Knowing the valuable experience it is for our little students to speak in front of an audience, and knowing the serious cuteness factor involved, we decided to do an end-of-the-year play!

And while organizing 12 children ages 3-8 was, at times, maddening it was also ridiculously FUN.

Another mom and I collaborated to put together a script based on the well-loved story Goldilocks.  I took over as director since I have lots of childhood theater experience (and I also have the loudest voice to be able to get the attention of my rowdy cast).  A super creative crafty mom in our group led the scenery making and stage set-up.  Then each family and their kids were responsible for their own props and costumes.

Our play was titled "The Real True Actual Story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears".  Overall, it really went well and was VERY entertaining.  And I was super extra proud of my Chloe (Mama Bear) and Clive (Baby Bear).  They remembered their lines and delivered them with gusto!  Clive even added his own gestures and improvised a little.

During our mini-drama study we read several books about acting and all the behind-the-scenes work necessary to put on a show.  In doing so the kids learned some drama vocabulary words.  And of course we practiced their parts at home while I gave them a teensy weensy bit of coaching.  Just simple things to help them speak in character and to always face the audience.

Additionally, I took the kids to a performance of the Akron Symphony Orchestra. They've both heard orchestral music before but never live.  Both Chloe and Clive were MESMERIZED!  The concert was geared for kids and included many breaks for interaction with the audience.  There was even a narrator and actors who acted out the story, "The Little Engine that Could".

This unit has made me realize that I need to work much harder at exposing my kids to the wonderful world of the arts.  I know they're still young yet but this seems to be the prime time for generating an appreciation and beginning a love for the fine arts.


The bear family realizes that someone's been eating their porridge.  As you can see, Baby Bear was very animated about it all.


Baby Bear encounters Goldilocks.
Papa and Mama Bear confront Goldilocks about her habit of breaking-and-entering.

The cast takes a bow!  (And Clive gets distracted by a newfound set of toy binoculars.)

No comments: