11.03.2010

Candy boatload

After two sessions of trick-or-treating, we now have LOADS of sugary goodness in our home.

Our candy consumption rule is one piece of candy per diem. The kids usually begin asking for their one piece immediately after breakfast. That's good and bad. Good in that I don't have to deal with a sugar high around nap time. Bad in that I have to deal with whining when Chloe realizes throughout the day that she's already eaten her daily allotment.

In order to sneakily decrease the stockpiles, I've been repurposing the candy by breaking it up and baking with it. Monday we made a batch of pumpkin muffins and used 4 mini-sized hershey bars broken up in place of the called-for chocolate chips. We've set aside the mini-snickers for brownie mix-ins. And the M&Ms will make for yummy cookies.

And of course Matt and I are doing our share to help the cause by snitching chocolate from the candy bowls. Now if only I could hold myself to the one piece per day rule!

How do you deal with your candy abundance?

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Al, I just found out about halloweencandybuyback.com - locate a dentist who will buy the candy from the kids and send it to troops overseas. I might actually TAKE our kids out next year with that information. :-)

Heather said...

:) We have the same problem here in our house. We have way to much of that sugary stuff too. I brought a bunch to work, we froze some, I have some set aside to add in when I bake and of course we are consuming our fair share of it. :)

ENJOY!!!!

Unknown said...

Jenny: WOW. What a great site and such a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing!

Heather: You froze it? I didn't even know you could do that! Thanks for the tip!