![]() |
Today I'm thankful for . . .
1. An awesome involved loving husband. I knew my Matt was amazing when I married him but I had no clue what a terrific dad he'd be. He's more than involved. Involved is too insipid a word. He's in the trenches with me and gets his hands dirty (literally and figuratively -- I'll spare you the gory details). Matt puts the older kids to bed every night. He vacuums. He does laundry. All on top of his rigorous teaching and grading responsibilities. He's the best and I'm exuberantly thankful he's mine!
2. Health and mental acuity. Of course the level of my mental acuity is questionable, at best, these days. But after taking the kids to a nursing home today and singing for the sweet older folks, I was reminded of the fleeting quality of youth. It's a fact of life that we all age and eventually die. And though I often feel weary, I thank God that my basic body and brain functionality is intact. Many people my age can't say that!
3. Joy. The aforementioned elderly souls we encountered at our nursing home visit were quick to give grins. I realize that my bouncing baby boy causes uncontrollable smiling but I think there was more to it than that. The nursing home residents were full of love, receptive, participant, and appreciative of our crazy homeschool kid bunch. They get what's really important. And it wasn't stuff, accomplishment, or persona that got them to smile. Singing children, vibrant life and simple stirring caused the joy breakout. It was especially sweet to see the contented faces on a few whose eyes were closed and sang along with us to such beloved songs as Jesus Loves Me and Amazing Grace.
4. Thoughtfulness. A dear friend stopped by unexpectedly and brought me some delicious bakery. AND despite her busy schedule she stayed a few moments to chat and help me with child care. It was super helpful and incredibly encouraging. Makes me want to do a thoughtful deed for someone else to keep that lovely feeling going!
5. Make-up. After yet another poor night's sleep, I drowned my tiredness with java beans. But even exorbitant coffee consumption didn't cover up the sleep deprivation on this 32 year old face. I'm so thankful that make-up can and does cover a multitude of blemishes and dark circles.

No comments:
Post a Comment