I am naturally thankful about some things in life. Food, shelter, clothing. Seems like everytime I pray with the kids before a meal, I'm thanking God not only for Himself but also for the basic material possessions He's given.
But, in practical living I'm not the most thankful gal.
I'm especially noticing my lack-of-thankfulness today as I've gotten frustrated countless times at how the day is playing out. Nothing is going the way I planned! My dear middle-son has received numerous spankings and my patience has waned quickly. I heard myself use my mean-mommy voice with him several times. I hate hearing my mean-mommy voice! I sound like one of those undesirable yelling screaming moms that embarrass themselves in public places. I'm not in public but I'm embarrassed at myself none-the-less. (Already apologized to the little guy about my harsh words. He's such a resilient joyful sort that he just said, "That's ok, Mommy!" and then proceeded to tackle me.)
So, in an effort to force a thankful attitude upon myself, I'm following in the steps of fellow-blogger Jenny with a Thanksgiving style challenge. I'm going to post every day from now until thanksgiving and list what I'm thankful for. Honest, real, practical things I thank God for not just the nebulous big picture items.
Here goes. Will you join me in this thankful challenge?
1. I'm thankful for little struggles and not big ones. I read this blurb about Christians being persecuted in Iraq. Wow. I have no concept of what that looks like since I enjoy total freedom in America. Praying for those with serious physical threats due to their faith in God gives me immediate perspective on the little-ness of my day's struggles. House a wreck? Baby woke up early from his nap? Not that big a deal anymore.
2. I'm thankful for the unconditional love of my children. I caught a glimpse of my unshowered self this morning in the mirror and did a double-take at my greasy yuckiness. I've been impatient and frustrated. My children seem to see none of that! They laugh with me, tickle me, smile at me, and are excited to be with me regardless of my demeanor and appearance. That's quite a model! And I'm thankful and humbled when I see their love.
3. I'm thankful for sunshine. That seems trite but I really am. Haven't been outside that much to truly enjoy it but even the diffused Vitamin D has been lifting my spirits.
4. I'm thankful for phone calls. This morning I received an unexpected call from an old college buddy. Despite the craziness going on while we chatted, it was refreshing. Encouraging too that she thought of calling me. I am not forgotten!
What are you thankful for today?
No comments:
Post a Comment