11.18.2010

8 Days Until Thanksgiving

Ok, it looks like somehow I messed up my counting and I'm off-track for my thanksgiving thankfulness countdown.  Oops.  Guess my math-loving brain cells are on the fritz due to lack of oxygen. Thanks sleep deprivation.

So, you're getting TWO thankfulness posts today.  Bonus for you!  AND me! 

Today I'm chewing on this verse . . .

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 
[1 Thessalonians 5:18]

This verse went up on our school wall today to help us remember to give thanks.  We've memorized the verse easily thanks to our Seeds of Purpose cd. Giving thanks is a powerful antidote to complaining and grumbling.

I especially like how this verse reminds me to give thanks in ALL circumstances.

Tired?  Give thanks. 
Unmotivated?  Give thanks.  
Frustrated?  Give thanks.
Jealous?  Give thanks.
Lonely?  Give thanks.

Pretty clear from the wording here to see that God wants us to give thanks.  How many times have we been led astray into the cacophony of our own thoughts ruminating on the *mysterious* will of God?  Giving thanks IS what God wants us to do.  Plain and simple.

This morning sitting at the kitchen table munching zucchini muffins, we talked thankfulness and I asked the kids what they're thankful for.  I always grin inwardly when I pose such a question to my dear little ones.  Their responses promise to be surprising, touching and bathed in inimitable childish sweetness.

Clive: "I'm thankful for all my trucks!"
Chloe: "I'm thankful that God gave me the skill to read and type on the computer. Now I can read my big beginner book all by myself!  And I can type a story about dinosaurs.  Oh, and I'm thankful for Jesus that He died on the cross.  That was a hard thing for Him."

What are you thankful for today?

No comments: