Not feeling the thankful vibe today. Just a blah kind of day for my soul.
On days like this when I don't FEEL thankful, I remember that thankfulness is like love. It's about action not feeling. True thankfulness, like love, is rooted in truth and not mere circumstances.
So even though my day was not circumstantially *sunny* I can still thank God a lot. And I can have a thankful heart even when my emotions aren't in agreement.
That said, here's what I'm thankful for today.
1. I'm thankful that God is on my side and doesn't abandon me. My heart has been singing this song all day long. (Take a listen to my church service this morning when Pastor Begg spoke on this glorious and encouraging truth from Romans 8. He says this way more adeptly than I ever could.)
2. I'm thankful that my sins are washed away and won't be counted against me. Good to remember after a rough day! Psalm 32 is all over this.
3. I'm thankful that there's more to life than just this life. Looking for lasting joy in the moments of the present is futile. Of course we all have lots of happy and fulfilling moments but there are loads sad moments too. If the moments were all that I clung to for hope, I'd be superficially happy and disappointed deeply. My joy is in Jesus and hope is found in the promise of life after death.
C.S. Lewis said this classically, “If we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, we are like ignorant children who want to continue making mud pies in a slum because we cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a vacation at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”
Armed with those truths in my pocket, I look forward to a thankful week ahead! What are you thankful for today?
No comments:
Post a Comment