4.12.2006

Too ambitious?

Sigh. I'm feeling like I don't know where to start on my to-do list for today. I have a MONSTER to-do list. I think I'm busier now that I'm a stay-at-home mom than I ever was when I worked full time. My ambition for projects is my enemy sometimes. Here's what's on my to-do list today:
  • finish Chloe's easter dress
  • prepare supper for a neighbor
  • fold laundry
  • work on my online recordings
  • finish planting my garden
  • start researching the planet Venus for the young astronomers club
  • work on Matt's website
Now that I've typed it out it doesn't look all that bad. It's just that each item on the list (except laundry and supper) will take a lot of time and effort. Maybe I should break my list down into more specifics? Notice that blogging is NOT on my list. :) Better dash! Any suggestions on productivity are much appreciated.

7 comments:

Katie said...

I know, it's amazing how much there is to do as a wife & mom. I haven't felt too productive myself lately. You've inspired me to make a list and get at it!

You do have a lot of bigger items on your list, but when I have tedious household tasks or just general picking up to do, I like to do things for 15 minutes at a time. Or sometimes, I ask Chris to just spend 5 minutes in each room, helping pick up and put things away. :) Hope your day is productive AND enjoyable dearie (it IS enjoyable to be productive, isn't it?).

S said...

I feel the same way about being busier now than before when I worked outside the home! I however, don't have any great advice, still trying to find what works best for me too. Having a baby provides an interesting variable, your plans at times have to be flexible.

Kelli said...

I know I always have to have things in a list, but I always try to evaluate which is most important and put that at the top and make my list that way. If you can split that list up into a few days it will probably help with your piece of mind!
One bad thing I find is that when I make a list of things I tend to skip over the things that I really don't want to do and end up doing that last!
Good luck with your Monster List!

Tricia said...

Hey Alicia,

I know what you're saying. I have a billion things to do today.. and here I am blogging. I echo Katie's sentiments about the 15 minutes thing as well. I don't know if you've heard of Flylady, but that system has helped me tremendously...except if you looked at my house right now you wouldn't agree! =) Oh well, some days are better than others.

pamela s said...

I try to schedule a time limit to my list too. That way I won't get distracted with more fun things. But it also helps me work to get the not-so-fun things done, because I'll give myself a time limit (example: 20 minutes to do the entire bathroom, etc.).
It doesn't always work, but I try!

Katie said...

I love Flylady too! But, I'm not really a true flybaby yet. Some day I want to be.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have heard of flylady but when I've checked out her website it was a blinking mess and I didn't have the patience to look through it. Sorry, web design really affects me. :) Great idea though to give yourself time limits on things. I also need to limit my computer time - that will give me more time during the day to chip away at my list.