Well, to all of you that faithfully read my posts (side note - thank you for enduring my strange sense of humor and reading about our boring daily happenings) you know that I am a dedicated scrabble player. And through our 3.7 (or so) years of marriage, I've converted my formerly- lackadaisacal-game-playing-husband into a scrabble lover. He has suggested we play scrabble at least 3 times this past week! I think he's on a high since he recently beat me twice in a row.But I certainly quashed his enthusiasm for the game last night! During last night's game I scored a personal best - 441 total points. Yes, that's right, your eyes ain't lying to ya' - 441!
Before this game my high was only 403. Last night I bingoed (that means I used all 7 of my tiles) twice, in consecutive turns actually, and I had several other very high scoring words.
Since we don't watch television (except for packer games and major golf tournaments), games play a big part of our lives. What are some of your favorite games? Are you obsessive about any of them?
15 comments:
Heston and Kelli got me hooked on Settlers of Catan over the holidays! But I don't think I am as crazy over it as you are over Scrabble.
You go girl!!!!!
We haven't quite "caught" the love of board games, yet. We do enjoy playing tennis and jogging (it's not running with me!) together. In our dating days, we played video games. Games or competition is another way to learn more about each other. It's better than just turning on a movie (where there's not a lot of interaction), which we're guilty of doing more often than not!
Congrats on your high score! I haven't played scrabble in FOREVER! Maybe I should try that again! As Heather mentioned, we LOVE SETTLERS! We don't play it too much throughout the school year, but play it for HOURS during any sort of break! Can't wait until this summer. Although, two of our favorite players, Ruth and Steve, are moving to CA! Have to addict more people to this game so we have more people to play with!
We have also recently become hooked on Settlers. We started playing it and then found out that like everyone in our new church plays it, so it has become a game of great "getting to know each other".
I don't play scrabble very often - we are both terrible at it - but our good friends taught us "pick 2". It's a great game to play with your non-scrabble playing friends. You start with 4 scrabble pieces each. You all start at the same time trying to make a word or words with those pieces. Once someone has used the letters they say "pick 2". Everyone picks 2 and tries to add to their words, once someone has used all their letters, they say "pick 2" again. You keep going until all the letters are used. Once one person has used all of their letters you stop. Then you count your points - whatevers left being against you. You get the idea! It is actually really fun.
Congratulations! I haven't played Scrabble since I was a kid & we played a vintage version of Jr. Scrabble. We're not big gamers either, but we recently played Po-Ke-No with friends of ours & "gambled" with Easter candy. That was a lot of fun!
Five Crowns is a fun card game...but I am a sucker for speed (not the drug..the game silly!!)
Congrats on the scrabble record! Good thing you trained up chloe in the way she should go...CHEERLEADING! clap clap!!
Our entire family is hooked on Canasta..it is definitely the game of choice when we can all actually sit down together. Usually my mom is a gem and watches the kids for us so we can play semi-interrupted. We've been a game playing family for decades now, especially card games, so I hope we can pass it on to our kids. Who knows how long Canasta will stay in the top of the pack, we usually go in spurts. WAY better than watching TV!!!
Wow, everyone, I had NO IDEA so many people played Settlers of Cattan! We've played it a few times and didn't really get into it but I think that's because it's more difficult with more than just 2 players. Am I right? We do enjoy those type of involved games like Settlers. Anyone ever played EuroRails? Love it. We also are big on some card games - our family fave is cribbage. What is it with card games and family traditions? We always had cribbage tournaments on Thansgiving day before the gorging.
Kelly: thanks for the pick 2 idea! Never heard of it. Do you say "pick 2" after everyone has made a word or just after the first person has made a word? Sounds like a great way to play speed scrabble. Our games usually take forever.
I've heard of po-ke-no and canasta (sounds confusing!) but not five crowns. What's that one like, Shyla?
Tom and i love Settlers of Catan...we play it quite a bit. We actually have the regular and extended version plus Cities and Knights regular and extended version.
We are game players..of course video games are big with us, but we also like scrabble and many others. I did take a picture a long time ago of our scrabble game board because we did so well on it and scrapbooked about it. Tom beat me by two points with his score of 423 and i scored 421.
Call me crazy, but I still love Monopoly. Probably because of my business background and the fact that I have only been beat twice. However, J.A. and I enjoy playing Risk. Settlers is the Rave up here at NBBC, but we have yet to play it. We've tried playing Scrabble a couple of times, but my vocab is so limited I have to play with the dictionary -- Thankfully JA lets me cheat at the game.
Call me crazy, but I still love Monopoly. Probably because of my business background and the fact that I have only been beat twice. However, J.A. and I enjoy playing Risk. Settlers is the Rave up here at NBBC, but we have yet to play it. We've tried playing Scrabble a couple of times, but my vocab is so limited I have to play with the dictionary -- Thankfully JA lets me cheat at the game.
yah -
you can play scrabble with my hubbie - it isn't fun for me - he beats me SO badly...
congrats on such a high score...
Amanda: Wow, that sounds like one amazing game of scrabble! I would LOVE to see that board. Do you still have the picture? When you move to GR we'll have to get together for some fierce scrabble gaming. Too bad you don't move until august! We're going to be at Matt's brother's house in June for a visit.
Tracy: We were on a monoply kick with our nieces & nephew for a while. I never played that growing up but it is quite fun. Have you played the Farming Game? That is another of our favorites.
Sherry: You could have a scrabble TOURNAMENT in your new house it's so huge! :) Wouldn't that be a hoot! You're right, it's no fun if the players aren't on the same level. Matt gives me quite a challenge and is becoming a fierce scrabble competitor.
We love Hoopla and anything Crainium. Hoopla has to be our favorite with a group though. Our favorite game for four is 7 up 7 down. I'll refrain from trying to explain it here. It's better learned in action.
Alicia, that would be awesome to get together sometime when you go over to your brother-in-law's house. You'll have to tell me the next time your over there after august!!
As far as that picture...oh yes i have the picture of that game! I'll post a picture of it for you to see on my website. It may take me awhile since i have to scan it. Great scoring on your game, by the way!!
Post a Comment