4.27.2006

Corny surprise

For all of you gals out there who are grossed out by poop, stop reading now.

With that warning in your mind, I'll proceed with my anecdote from mommying today. Last night we had dinner at my pal Melinda's house and since Chloe is getting older now she eats quite a bit of table food. I love experimenting with different things and seeing how she reacts to them. (As you can tell from her chipmunk cheeks, she never turns down an offer to try new foods). Chloe was a bit crabby so I tried giving her some corn from my dinner plate. Now, I've read lots of baby books and I couldn't recall anything negative about corn so away we went. (I do remember reading that if you feed your child beets [who feeds a baby beets?!?] then the resulting stool will be red in color. Who researches these things?) She quickly gobbled up several kernels. This morning a strange smell struck my nostrils and up we went to the changing table. Besides a revolting and powerful poopy smell, I was confronted with the corn kernels from the night before - COMPLETELY INTACT! A very strange sight indeed. So, for all you pregos out there - beware of the reappearing corn kernel phenomenon.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Please let me know if other foods do this so I can prepare myself.

12 comments:

Tracy said...

Alicia,
Unfortunately as much as Kara loves corn, I've always found it in her diapers the next day. Although, I don't recall any out of the ordinary smell. As far as other foods found in tact in the diaper -- occassionally peas (which reek -- Kara likes eating peas straight from the can) and the seeds inside of green beans.

Hope this helps. By the way, this is the first time in a month I've even been able to think about dirty diapers without gagging. Maybe the morning sickness is almost gone?

S said...

Alicia- Thanks for the warning..I didn't know corn would have that kind of reaction. :) I think after being a mom, few things cease to gross me out anymore.

Tracy - Are you pregnant? I think I must have missed that info somewhere in your blog???

S said...

p.s. Where do you get your cool pics from? As you can tell, I only ever post pics that we take, I haven't found a good website with cool pics for what I'm trying to write about..any suggestions?

Katie said...

When we eat corn, we always say (with a smirk on our faces), "See ya tomorrow!" LOL

Tracy - ARE you prego?

Heather said...

Alicia - I am sitting here just cracking up. As soon as you started the post, I knew exactly where it was going! We always see the corn the next day!!!

Gotta love Katie's response!

Unknown said...

Tracy: Thanks for the heads up on peas and green beans! How far along are you in your pregnancy?

Shannon: I agree, I don't get grossed out by much any more now that I'm a mom. Chloe still hasn't really vomitted though - that might throw me for a loop. If I'm in a hurry for pictures I just do a google image search. For good free stock photos (those are photos available for website use without any strings attached) I use this site primarily: www.sxc.hu
www.fci.crossnet.se is a good source for Christian images.

KT: Hee-hee! Wow, I didn't realize corn did that to older kids too!

Heather: Glad I could give you a laugh today! Hope your office day goes by quickly. Fridays can be bears!

Jenny said...

I've heard that corn is one of the hardest things for humans to digest. However, if you break the corn membrane, kids can digest it better. Like if you've got it on the cob, take a sharp knife and slice the middle of the kernel then cut it off the cob, so you have little 1/2 kernels to give the child.

Pretty sure it won't help the smell, though...

Shyla said...

if my husband read this post he would be absolutely grossed out! LOL H eis allergic to corn AND hates the word POOP!! LOL Can't wait to show it to him - the blog post that is! How corny was that!! Ok, OK !i"ll stop now!

Unknown said...

Jenny: Wow, you sure know a lot about corn for a preg-o! Thanks for the tips. Sounds like too much work to me. Guess I'll just take my chances and greet the corny poop 8 hours after digestion.

Shyla: You and Nate will VERY SOON be baptized into the poop world and it will no longer gross Nate out. Hopefully! You'll just have to give him lots of opportunities for diaper changing. Matt was the same way at first. And if you think poop is bad in regular diapers, you should see it in the cloth diaper! Cloth makes you up close and personal with the poop. I still remember (vividly) the first time Matt encountered and dealt with a cloth poopy mess. He screamed, "EW!" and threw the thing in the bathroom sink!

Thanks for the cute witty poopy puns. Never too corny for my liking! just keep 'em popping (get it? popcorn! sorry, mine aren't nearly as good as yours!)

Tricia said...

Surely we all have something better to do with our days...just kidding, you guys crack me up. I always know that Alicia will have some crazy post up her sleeve. Who knew it would be corn in poop this time. I'll be better prepared next time! =)

Kelli said...

I'll admit, I was grossed out and didn't want to keep reading, but alas I succumed to my curiosity! I honestly don't know what we will do when we have kids. Both Heston and I have very sensitive stomachs! My mom always did and she raised 4 kids so i will just have to get her tricks - but at least she had my dad!

carissa said...

all I have to say is 'I HAVE TWINS...Double the poop, double the whole corn kernels, double the smell, double the diapers, double the $$, double the debt :):):)

Not to be gross....but it's not just like that in babies ( you may delete if you want, but it's true :)