7.13.2007

So far, so good

The transition from crib to big-girl bed was a smashing success! Thanks to all of you for your advice and support. We decided not to do away with the pacifier just yet. After all of your wonderful experiential comments, we thought forcing two transitions at once would be too difficult for Chloe to handle.

All day long yesterday we talked up the big-girl bed and its sheets, pillows, rails, etc. When the time came for bed, Chloe practically jumped in! Then I did all of her familiar bed-time rituals (story, lullaby, prayer, kisses) and tucked her in.

I thought it wise NOT to warn her about getting out of bed. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it; I'm not giving her any ideas. Instead I advised her when she woke up to call for mommy and I'd get her out of bed. It worked like a charm!

This transition was a piece of cake! Next month we'll deal with the passy and start riding the potty train. I have a feeling those transitions will be a big rougher. Get ready with more advice for me on those topics, moms out there!

12 comments:

Katie said...

I share your dread of the potty train. I'm just praying we'll have successfully ridden it before our baby is born. For right now, Luke has no care or concern about going in the toilet. I really don't even think he tells when he's going. Boys!

Rachel said...

Hooray for Chloe! She looks peaceful in her new bed. I am so glad that it went well for you. What a wise thing NOT to tell Chloe about getting out of bed. Hopefully, you guys won't have to battle that one with her:).

christina said...

good for you, alicia! i feel the same way about not giving ideas... connor thinks up enough on his own. unfortunately big boy bed is a far off dream in our home. but i'm quite ok with that. :)

and kudos on your recent sewing extravaganza...super cute!

Matt & Nicki said...

YEAH!! I agree about not putting ideas into her head about getting out of bed--good thinking. I too am dreading the potty train, but we will start silas in the fall when Sara starts K-4. This way i have three days a week to concentrate on ONE child. He will be three in November, so my goal is to have him trained before then.

Joe & Sarah McDaniel said...

Glad the big girl bed went well for you. My first never got out of bed - he always called for us - I don't think it ever crossed his mind that he could. However, in our case, it's gotten worse with each successive child - I think they see their older siblings doing it, so there's no foolin' them!

My only "potty train" advice (3 down and 1 to go for me) is don't be pressured by your child's age or by what other parents may be doing w/ their child. WAIT UNTIL SHE'S READY!!! And it will go much easier for you both. A mother of 6 (5 boys and 1 girl) told me she started her first 3 children at 2 yrs. and it took them at least 6 mos. to train - she waited on the 4th until he was 2 1/2 or 3 and it only took 2 weeks. Of course, some, especially girls it seems, are ready much earlier. But the frustrating thing about potty training and those of us with "logical" minds is that 2 + 2 doesn't necessarily equal 4!! :o)

heatherlyn11 said...

I bet the paccy will go smoother than you think. I dreaded it with my three, it's always worse for the mom. Two of mine were addicts, and it was a one day thing-gone and forgotten. Hopefully it's easy for you guys too. They are so wonderful when they are babies, and i just felt bad that I shoved it in their mouth and then took it and threw it away??!! Oh well, it's always harder for a mom who over-analyzes.
Heather

S said...

I'm glad the transition went so well! Let us know how the pacifier goes. Esther has one also she uses for bedtime and I'm anxious to get rid of it at the right time. :)

pamela s said...

Good job, Mommy & Chloe!! Glad the first night was a success.

Tracy said...

I'm so glad Chloe made the transition so well. I'll continue to pray that the next several nights will go well also. Is she in the big bed for naps also?

Stephanie (Wolynes) Steinbart said...

Hey Alicia! We just recently went through ALL 3 of these transitions. Canon was 2.5 in February, so we started with potty training -- which, by the way, my only advice is my own experience and that is to go hard core nudie for several days and you will have her trained within the week. (hopefully) It has worked with everyone I know who has tried it! Then, 3 weeks later, we moved him to a big boy bed. Good idea with the no warning move. She will figure it out on her own one night! It took Canon a couple months to figure out he could actually get out of this bed! And last, we took the paci away in March. We actually went on a shopping "spree" to Toys R Us, but I mysteriously had forgotten my purse. Good thing Canon could pay for his new toy with his beloved paci! Hasn't even asked for it since!! Just an idea for you. You are doing great, she is too adorable and I can't wait to hear what the next one will be!

Karen said...

Great job, Chloe! Isn't it fun to sleep in a big-girl bed? You will have all sorts of things to teach your new baby sister/brother! Be a good girl while Mommy teaches you new things!

the johnson crew said...

that is so sweet, anna has been "sleeping" in a toddler bed since she moved to wisconsin at 13 months. poor thing wanders around the house at night and falls asleep in random places.