7.04.2007

A fun-filled fourth

No fireworks for us this year (or last year for that matter) but we still managed to have a fun-filled fourth.

Chloe and I headed out early for a local parade. It was a long ordeal (ever notice how much down time there is in parades?) but Chloe got excited about the bands, clowns, and a fellow dressed in a leaf suit. :) And of course there was candy thrown so it was well worth the two hours of watching.

After a long walk to the car while I balanced Chloe's plastic chair (which does not fold up and she only sat on once - that's a lesson learned for next year!) on her stroller and toted the diaper bag, I was thoroughly beat and ready to get home. Chloe and I both crashed for some well-deserved naps this afternoon.

This evening we're off to my pal Melinda's house for a cookout. Even though they only live 6 houses away, we haven't seen them much lately! It should be a nice visit and Chloe always is thrilled to play with and laugh with Melinda's kids. I attempted to make the infamous kraft wave your flag cake. Didn't turn out exactly like the picture but it tasted good!

What did you and yours do for the fourth? And here's a fireworks question for you moms out there: at what age is it appropriate to take your child to see the fireworks? Chloe's bedtime is between 8-8:30 and I doubt she'd last until the traditional 10 p.m. fireworks time. Plus I think she'd be afraid of all the loud noises.





















The best self-taken shot I could get of me and Chloe at the parade this morning.
















My flaggy cake.

Posted by Picasa


This short little video depicts Chloe's excitement about trombones.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting

11 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Alicia,
You had a busy day! Chloe looks quite patriotic in her little ensemble. In answer to your question, we took Michael to the fireworks last night and he LOVED them. His bedtime is around 8:30 but we chose to play it by ear as to his mood. He did great!
We found a video on YouTube of fireworks for him to watch. We tried to prepare him for what to expect and I think that it helped. He was so excited to see the fireworks after we had trumped them up so much.
I wanted to go to a parade today but we all slept in and I did much needed grocery store run. We also had a small cookout and I made your fabulous fruit ice:). Then, the three of us went swimming. The water is still a little chilly (78 degrees) but Michael is starting to enjoy it more. I hope that you recuperate from your very full day:).

Jenny said...

Your cake looks YUMMY! We took Aaron and he loved the fireworks! I was apprehensive but he was giggling and laughing and bouncing and loving every minute. It was so fun to watch!! He was definitely overtired, but these kinds of things are once a year and for us, worth it. I guess it all depends on the child, though. Some are more easily upset when taken off routine.

Mary Ann said...

Alicia -
We had a little fireworks show at our family & friends get together & I was holding my friend's 13 month old baby girl Anya during the whole show. She loved it! But my 7 year old nephew didn't like it much. He gets torn between loving the sight of the fireworks & hating the noise. So I'm guessing that it just depends on the kid.
And your cake does look super yummy. Aren't strawberries the world's most wonderful food? :-)

Katie said...

I love Chloe's jumper! She looks so patriotic. We had such a low-key day and didn't really do much. We were all tired & partied out from a Luke's b-day and our company. No parades or fireworks. Not even a BBQ or a flag cake, but it was a nice day. Next year we hope to go up to my parents & enjoy Nland's fireworks & carnival. I think Luke would've been old enough this year to go to fireworks - maybe last year too. Chris had to get up early for work this a.m.; that's why we didn't go to a show last night. It's way past his bedtime, but he would enjoy it and survive. I'm sure Chloe will be ready next summer.

Janelle said...

Alicia, your cake looks great and I'm sure it was very delicious! Looked like Chloe really enjoyed the parade too! She's so cute!
We took Aaron to the fireworks last night, but we were quite a ways away from them so we could barely hear the noise, but we could still see them. He loved them too. We gave him a longer later nap yesterday and that seemed to help. We've been seeing fireworks on TV every once in a while for the past week or so and every time we saw them we'd say "fireworks" and he caught on real quick. So, needless to say, every time one would go off last night he would yell FIREWORKS!!!! It was pretty funny! Then when we got home some of our neighbors must have spent a bundle on some fireworks themselves because that show was almost as good as the one we saw from so far away! Aaron REALLY liked that one. He really didn't mind the noise so much, but I'm sure that depends on the kid. Next year Chloe should be a perfect age, but then again, you'll have another much smaller one to tend to as well! Maybe it'll work out to go anyway! Glad you had a good 4th!

Matt & Nicki said...

No fireworks for us either, at least not to see, we heard them in the apartment though. . .as for when to take Chloe-Sara still (well, as of last year) HATES fireworks--she watched them the first year with daddy covering her ears-she does not like the noise at all! Silas slept through them last year at Northland's. Matt had to be up at 5:00 am for work this year, so maybe we will try again next year.

Tracy said...

Looks like you had a fun-filled Fourth. We would have been better off to forego the fireworks b/c the kids were terrified the entire time. The parade sounds like a lot of fun even with the down time.

Carrie said...

We have taken our kids every year - it is only once a year, we hardly ever break their 9:00 bedtime but they did fine and slept in for us the next morning :) I thik usually if you are upbeat and clap and hold them tight they are fine. The one year when Caleb was only 4 mo old he actually slept right through them. I would have been just as happy going to a parade, whatever to make the day special, but we love fireworks!

Karis said...

Last year when she was almost one, Kayla liked the lights of the fireworks and put up with the noise, but she lost interest after just a few minutes. We're going to the fireworks show tonight at Northland with Dan's parents so we'll find out what she thinks this year. We didn't keep her up on the 4th for fireworks because we knew she would be up late tonight and she can only stay up past her bedtime so many times in one week before we all pay for it!

the johnson crew said...

chloe is a great dancer. so cute. was it cold there? you dress chloe so cute.

carissa said...

My Chloe kept watching Chloe dancing and kept saying, 'AGAIN!!!'