12.06.2007

It DOES really exist (and other news)

Kudos to Jen S. for validating my claim on St. Nick's Eve as a real holiday. (No, Carissa, I didn't make it up!) One of my blog subscriptions even mentioned St. Nick's today. Chloe really liked her Christmas puffy stickers and I'm pumped about her Elmo preschool activity book. Thanks for the goodies, mom! (I mean St. Nick, of course.)

In other news, Chloe is doing great passy-free. She only cries a wee little bit before bedtime now and it's almost like she's totally forgotten about it. Yeehaw!

Potty-training seems to be progressing upwards slowly. Turns out the stickers aren't truly motivating her. In fact, she really likes sitting on the potty because I read to her and she gets my undivided attention. So lately when she sits she prolongs the process and doesn't do her business. I'm on to her now though! Yesterday I realized her bladder could NOT possibly hold it any longer and so I tried a new tactic. Our conversation went like this . . .

Me: Chloe, I'd like to go downstairs and make some Christmas cookies. Would you like to help me?
Chloe: (immediately jumping off the potty) I go downstairs please!
Me: Well, you can't come downstairs with me to make cookies until you go pee-pee in the potty. I don't want you to have an accident while we're downstairs.
Chloe: (hopping back up on the potty and tinkling in a matter of seconds) I go pee-pees, mommy.

What a stinker! She certainly knows what's going on and can't fool me anymore. Tonight she did something similar and went almost immediately when I motivated her the right way. Pray for me to be consistent and to separate reading books from potty time. When baby #2 comes along I certainly won't have the time (or the energy) to sit and read to Chloe on the potty.

5 comments:

federalbunny said...

It seems to me that I was trying to make that exact point - that reading to Chloe on the pot would not make her go because when she went you would stop reading and she loves to be read to so why would she want to go - I seem to remember you pooh,poohed my idea - or was I just dreaming that - you know how us old folks have a hard time remembering things sometimes.
p.s. St Nick says your welcome

Karen said...

Yikes! I think you've been scolded, Alicia! :)

Great job staying a step ahead of your smart girl! Hopefully it'll be just a short while before the task is done.

Janelle said...

Isn't it so hard to figure out whether or not our kids are taking us for granted or if they truly are clueless. Sometimes I can't figure out if I'm not giving mine enough credit, or expecting too much out of him. Most of the time I'm not giving him enough credit. They're so stinkin' smart! Smart enough to know how to trick us! I'm glad that you figured this out and that's great that the whole passy separation thing is going well. In a day or so she'll never remember she ever had one! Glad you had a good St. Nicks Day or whatever it's called! =) Since it's a German thing, maybe I should do a little more research and start that tradition in our family! ;) The only problem I can see with that is that Christmas comes around all too fast let alone two weeks prior! We'll see next year maybe!

Karis said...

Alicia, I've missed you! Okay, that sounds crazy; but it has been strange to not be in the blogging world for so long.

So excited about Chloe's smooth adjustment without the paci. I am putting off getting rid of Kayla's until I'm more rested just in case it doesn't go so well. She is so strong willed, and she can cry a REALLY long time if she puts her mind to it. Your story and the comments of others have encouraged me, though, that it might be a bigger deal in my mind than hers.

I have never heard of St. Nick's Eve either, but it sounds like a fun tradition for your family.

Glad to hear the potty training is going better slowly but surely. Hang in there; you're doing a great job.

I can't believe how close your due date is getting. I am so excited for you.

Heather said...

YEAH for Chloe!!! Does it feel any different to not have to change as many diapers??