12.08.2007

Pregnancy update: 35 weeks

My overwhelming feeling at 35 weeks is anticipation and longing for this baby to arrive early. I'm sure every mother feels that way during the last weeks of pregnancy, but I more so since I'm still measuring bigger than Santa's huge pack of toys (like the Christmas metaphor?). I'm measuring as though I'm 39 weeks now so it's no wonder I feel like I want to be done with all things pregnancy!

During my most recent appointment, my midwife gave me all the possibilities for labor. As it's looking definite that I won't be able to deliver baby #2 if I carry him to term, these are the scenarios:
1. I go into labor naturally 1-3 weeks before my due date and the baby will be small enough for me to deliver vaginally.
2. If my body is showing signs of readiness, they can try to induce me but not until 39 weeks. At which point the baby would probably be too big (if their estimates are correct) and I'd most likely end up with another c-section.
3. We can schedule an elective c-section at 39 weeks. (We'll also have another ultrasound at 38 weeks for a weight estimate.)

So at least I'm guaranteed that something will happen during week 39! :)

We're praying for scenario number 1 but we know that God is in control. All that matters is that we get a healthy bouncing baby boy out of this experience!

As for me, I'm pretty uncomfortable. Feeling a lot of pressure and forceful movement from our little guy. I get up often during the night and I've developed a 4 pillow system to keep me as cushy as possible. I'm convinced God will use these restless nights to prepare me for the newborn weeks to come!

My midwife gave me some herbal suggestions for getting the hormones moving and grooving. Do any of you have any tips or stories of what works to get labor going?

15 comments:

federalbunny said...

A young woman I work with who delivered with a midwife at her own home with 4 of her children told me her midwife's suggestion for inducing labor is SEX -

Tricia said...

Wow, I can't believe that the big day is coming so soon. It seems like yesterday when you announced your pregnancy on the blog. Time always seems to fly...when you are not the one pregnant that is! =)

Katie said...

My midwife suggested real Red Raspberry leaf tea and Evening Primrose Oil. I didn't get the tea, but did get the E.P.O. and took it starting Wed. before Simon was born on Monday. No clue if that did anything - I think it does soften the cervix though.

Are you delivering at a hospital? or a midwife center? or at home? How did you end up with a midwife this time?

S said...

thanks for the update. i'm interested in the same topic since i have the same scenario for our baby #2. i finally met with my dr and we are considering vbac if the baby decides to come on his own.

the johnson crew said...

i have no suggestions... haven't been there yet. i will be praying for you alicia.

Karis said...

Nothing that I tried to put myself into labor worked so I have no suggestions.

Glad you only have to countdown to 39 weeks instead of 40, but I will pray with you that you will go into labor on your own even sooner.

Thanks for the update. I've been wondering how you were doing. Hang in there. He will be here soon although I know that's easy for me to say since I'm not the one 35 weeks pregnant.

Amanda T said...

I'll make sure to add you to the prayer list for this baby to come early. And like Janelle, I have no suggestions at this time, but just give me about 6 more months. :)

Carrie said...

I second the red raspberry leaf tea--I think (at least for me) it did help speed things up. (I drank a lot of it, and delivered both of mine 2.5-3 weeks early--not sure that I can fully attribute it to the tea, but it doesn't hurt to try, if you like tea. :))

Also second what your mom said . . . *blush*. :)

Joe & Sarah McDaniel said...

Hey - don't have any personal suggestions considering I never went into labor myself and ended up with one induced labor and 4 c-sections . . . however, a friend of mine, two classes away from her rn, who has home births with a midwife, said castor oil worked for her - I believe she said 2 oz. and she went into labor within a day or two after - for whatever that's worth.

Kelli said...

Wow, baby boy Horn is coming so soon! I am so happy for you. Does Chloe understand that she is getting a baby brother? I will be praying for a safe delivery!

Jenny said...

I know there are some pressure points on your feet that are supposed to trigger labor - maybe try a reflexology book at the library? I would seriously consider acupuncture if I don't go into labor "on time" next time. It has to be better than another C-section.

I can't believe you are 35 weeks already!! It seems like just yesterday you were breaking the news that you are expecting. (I guess it feels like that to me because I am not 35 weeks pregnant!!!)

Shyla said...

s-e-x.
it works!!
Owen came 10 hrs. later.
by the time 40 weeks arrives, you'll do anything to get the baby out! pleasurable or not :) (never know if you don't try! :)

Janelle said...

WOW! Talk about ready or not here he comes!!! Still can't believe how fast time has gone!

I too am interested in this subject too, like Shannon said, because I will be dealing with the same dilemma of delivery options.

As far as getting the ball rolling, like others have said, "messing around" works. You have to make sure things happen for you though! I know this is a sensitive and delicate subject, but we're all adults here anyway. =) I've also heard of the Red Raspberry leaf tea and the Primrose Oil, but haven't used them personally. Another thing a friend said that she did was nipple stimulation, which would also be good to get them toughened up for that tiny little mouth you'll be feeding! I have also heard of the pressure points thing too so maybe that would be something interesting to look into. Hopefully you can find somthing that will work. Makes me wonder why they don't do another ultrasound earlier to do the weight check so that maybe they could induce you early anyways. God is in control and will make happen what is best for you and your little man! Will be praying for you!

Genns said...

Wow, that has gone by quickly. A few more suggestions. The pressure point thing - some massage therapists are willing to massage you to help labour begin (but that costs money) Apparently pineapple works, but I think you have to eat like 5 pineapples or something - canned doesn't work.
And I hate to even say this - but sex does work!

I totally remeber that feeling of " just get this baby out of me already!" I'll pray for you.

Karen said...

I went into labor spontaneously a day before Livvie's due date, but I was in no hurry to get her out. I was very comfortable and feeling rather un-ready! Good luck!