12.12.2007

Favorite Christmas Carol poll

During the day I play Christmas music to keep Chloe and I singing and bouncing around (not that I'm doing much bouncing these days). It's so fun to teach her the Christmas carols and to watch her playing with her nativity set. Today she lost the lamb and she was going around the first floor calling out, "Lamby?! Lamby where are you?" Then she took Mary and proceeded to speak for the virgin by saying, "Lamby! Where are you? I miss you!" I didn't know the lamb was that important to Mary . . . .

I digress. I'm wondering what your favorite Christmas carol, hymn, or song is. And why is it your favorite during this wondrous season?

My fave would have to be "O Holy Night". I especially like the version sung by the lovable crooner, Harry Connick Jr. It's such a gorgeous musical arrangement and the words are so powerful and truth-packed. The song's dramatic musicality emphasizes the immense importance of God's incarnation in His saving-Son Jesus on Christmas Day.

Now it's your turn to answer . . .

10 comments:

Rachel said...

We have this GREAT radio station that plays Christmas music non-stop with very few interruptions. Michael and I dance around the kitchen - or tonight, while I was making dinner, he was dancing with his orange:).

Anyhoo, my favorite secular Christmas song is "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" sung by Bing Crosby. I get that warm and fuzzy feeling:).

My favorite sacred one is probably "Angels, We Have Heard on High". I love how the four parts blend on the chorus.

I'm not sure if Handel's Messiah counts as "official" Christmas music but I LOVE listening to it any time of year:).

Rachel said...

Okay - "non-stop with very few interruptions" contradicts itself. Sorry - I think that you know what I mean though:).

Abby said...

I'm definitely right there with you with "O Holy Night." All time favorite! I love Josh Groban's version of it - sooo nice!!!

Karen said...

Love "O Holy Night," and LOVELOVE Harry Connick, Jr! Also love "I'll be Home for Christmas."

Mary Ann said...

Amen to your comments on O Holy Night. It has always been my favorite. My good friend got married last Christmas & the congregation sang all the verses (which I thought was a wonderful touch). It quite often can bring tears to my eyes.
Another silly emotional thing about me at Chrismas - I totally can't handle the "I'll be home" songs b/c so many people can't be home. And that makes me so sad.
*Chloe sounds so much like my niece Madison. She is continually having dialogue with whatever doll she is playing with. And they are almost all named Ashleah. Who knows where that name came from?

ruth said...

"O Holy Night" is my favorite. Also, I love "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth" from the Messiah. As for secular songs... I have to go with "I'll Be Home for Christmas" though last night I saw a bit of Christmas in Washington and listened to a particularly horrible rendition of that song... the poor girl: someone once told her she could sing. Stick to the shower sweetie!

Hee, was that mean? ;)

ruth said...

Actually, now that I think of it... "Let It Snow" outranks "I'll Be Home for Christmas" I just love some of the lines: "When we finally kiss goodnight, how I'll hate going out in the storm. But if you really hold me tight, all the way home I'll be warm" really captures the romance of Christmas. :)

Mary Ann said...

I'm totally cluttering up your comments box today, but I wanted to tell you that while I was out getting my boss's lunch today (I wonder how many minutes of my life I spend in the Wendy's drive-thru?) I heard Josh Groban singing O Holy Night. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I just wish he sang all of the verses. I'm going to make a visit to iTunes this evening & get that downloaded to my ipod. I might have to check out Harry Connick Jr., too!

christina said...

definitely o holy night! i think it's so majestic. and i do love josh groban's rendition. i don't know if i had a favorite performer of that one before i heard his. i do prefer men's voices though. or just lower ladies' voices.

Karis said...

"O Holy Night" is my favorite Christmas song. I'm tempted to request it year round when we sing "favorites" at church.