12.21.2007

The element of surprise

Last night as Matt and I attempted to watch The Fountain (turned it off because we couldn't get into it) I wrapped up most of our remaining Christmas gifts. As I sat there wrapping gifts for myself from Matt I realized that we've totally lost the element of surprise in giving each other gifts.

Matt could care less about the surprise factor when opening or giving a gift. I, on the other hand, enjoy that surprise-wow-aha moment very much in gift giving and receiving. I find it a fun and unique challenge to search out the perfect gift for each person. Of course, we're limited by budget so that presents boundaries to my gifting. It's kind of like a complex math problem with several variables involved (that analogy was for you Kelly) and I get to solve the problem for each loved one. Doesn't that sound like fun?

I've succeeded in keeping most of my gifts a secret from Matt though he "accidentally" found a few cds I got him (by the way, any of you use a cd swapping/exchange store? I got rid of 9 of our cds yesterday that we no longer listen to and in exchange got 3-4 new or used cds for our collection! What a financially frugal way to switch up our music!). Matt however straight-up asked me for a list of specific gift ideas. I guess after 6 Christmases together he's tired of trying to guess what I'd like. Not that I'm complaining; it will be awesome to actually get what I want and need this year. (I'm pumped because I'm finally getting a new nut chopper - talk about romance!)

How about your family? Is surprise a big deal to your clan during Christmas time?

7 comments:

Karis said...

Surprises do not make things more special for me. In fact, it might be bad to admit this, but I'd rather get something I would really like than to be surprised. Dan, on the other hand, is a surprise person (his whole family is so he grew up with that being half the fun while my family was not a surprise family).

Dan likes the commercial about a gift either saying, "I get you" or "I got you a gift." He loves to "get me" without me knowing what he's getting me. I, on the other hand, feel nervous about spending money on something that he might not enjoy as much as something else (limited budget here too). So, I have to work to think up good surprises for him, and he has to work to not surprise me too often so we're speaking each other's languages.

Janelle said...

I do like the element of surprise too. I'm always curious to see how people read me or the things that they think I would like. In most cases they hit the nail right no the head, but there are a few that I just kinda raise an eyebrow to. My husband could go either way. I think he likes surprises, but also likes getting exactly what he wants too. We have very few surprises because we always ask each other what we want and then go out and get those things. Maybe one of these years we'll know each other enough to not have to ask and then be completely surprised!

Rachel said...

Surprise are fun but I've turned into the boring "gift card" individual. I feel selfish saying this but I've received gifts that just weren't "me" and I feel so bad not loving them.

I do enjoy when my husband surprises me though. He listens and remembers things that I've mentioned in passing. I am in the minority when I say that appliances and/or kitchen gifts thrill me! I'm not big on receiving a piece of expensive jewelry as a gift. It's just not practical. Maybe I'll change as I age but I highly doubt it.:)

I like to surprise my hubby with things that he likes but that is so hard to do. He's rather picky about things:). I don't think that he really cares either way to be honest - probably a guy thing:).

This year, we purchased a fairly large item a few months ago and decided that it would be our present to one another. Hey, whatever works for you and yours!

Carrie said...

I do like the surprise and feel I don't Need much so suprise me. However we have money constraints as well so there is discussion on cost and what we would like the money to be used to and then there is Mike who doesn't care for surprise and although I would love to I seem to always ask him before I dish out $50 so I'm not wasting money and getting him something he likes. SO Mike is getting a video chair this year and he actually pulled out his credit card and paid for it when we checked out :)-
I like knowing someone put thought into "what would she like without asking me" although I once ended up with awful ugly sunshine yellow capris one time ;( I do not know what Mike got me this year and I'm excited to find out!

Reads said...

I actually found out two of my presents from Adam. I didn't mean to it just happened!! So, I so like surprise, but I am excited about what I'm getting (i.e. Green Bay Packer sweatshirt)!!!
Adam is BIG into the surprise thing, although I think he has an idea what he is getting it's hard to shop when you find something and you are together!

Tricia said...

We are all about surprises (thus the reason we never find out the gender of our babies)!! Ryan's much better at successfully executing surprises, but I am slowly picking up the pace. In our home, the surprise factor is right up there in importance as the actual gift. We are a crazy lot around here, what can I say! =)

Mary Ann said...

Surprise is so not a part of our gift-giving. Acutally, my parents, my siblings & families, g-parents, & my aunt & uncle all go shopping together on the day after Thanksgiving (there are 15 of us!). On that day we tell each other about how much we can spend & then we all pick out what we want. Then we all take the stuff home, wrap it up, & give it on Christmas. Totally screwed up, right? ;-) We've done that my whole life long. My mom & g-ma make a big deal out of our stockings & so that stuff is a bit of a surprise. Unconventional, but I haven't had to return anything ever. I love it!