4.28.2007

Repurposing: the first of many projects

My latest sewing project was my first attempt at "repurposing". My sister has been talking up the idea of repurposing to me lately, but I didn't feel confident in my sewing skills to try it.

So, what is repurposing? It's a means of recycling your old clothes by turning them into something else; giving old clothes a new purpose. As we are way below the poverty line right now during Matt's schooling days, this is becoming an exciting prospect for me to create "new" clothes.

My pal Melinda is celebrating a birthday today - Happy Birthday dear! - and after probing her for gift ideas, I discovered she was in need of an apron. I could have just sewn an apron from scratch, but do you know how expensive material is these days?!? Even our wal-mart's sewing department has downsized and has upped their prices on fabric. Instead, I came across a dress for 50 cents at salvation army made of really nice material, and I thought I'd transform it into an apron for Melinda.

As my sewing skills are elementary at best, I did some internet researching before beginning the apron project. I found some apron patterns and then I hit the jackpot: instructions for converting a full skirt into a half-apron! I wanted to do a full apron for Melinda, but these online directions gave me some very helpful ideas and a starting point.

Check out the photos below to see how the dress was transformed into a new apron! I'm very pleased with the result (and so was Melinda - yay!) and this project has given me a fresh wind of confidence to do more repurposing. I think my next project will be a tiered summer skirt for Chloe. Happy repurposing!





















The original dress after I cut out the buttons and center front seam.






















The first big cuts - this was scary!

















More cutting to give it a scoopy neck and to straighten the sides.

















Cut some length from the bottom and sewed up all the unfinished edges with a zigzag stitch (my new favorite!).

















Adding some fabulous ribbon for the waistband.






















The finished apron!






















Chloe models the apron. She's not hooked on repurposing yet. :)

19 comments:

S said...

very cute! you are so creative and it saves money. i've heard of that, but haven't been brave enough to try it yet!

Carrie said...

I have a whole pile of clothes to do this too but not sure what to do to them (ecsp having boys and all). Your apron looks great.

Joe & Sarah McDaniel said...

Very nice ~ I love the colors! I keep a rubbermaid tub of material scraps, old clothes with material I like (old formals, etc.) and material found cheap in Walmart's $1 clearance - it has come in handy quite a few times. A few years back, my sister-in-law made a puppet stage by cutting a hole in a rectangular piece of fabric, hemming the hole and ends with a slot in the top for a short shower curtain rod - to be hung in any standard-sized doorway - pretty inexpensive - then she gave the kids each a puppet with it for Christmas. Great idea, I thought, so I stole it and did the same for my sister's 4 kids this past Christmas, with a little embellishment to make the "stage" more fun - with my $1/yd. fabric from Walmart!
Happy creating!!

Rachel said...

Great job! I think that your apron is a great example of being a good steward. I also love your friend's idea of making a puppet stage. You all are very creative and I love reading about your ideas. Keep them coming!!

Rachel said...

BTW - I LOVE Chloe's facial expression. She is not too thrilled about modeling the apron. So funny!

Unknown said...

Shannon: I wouldn't have been brave enough but the online directions were a tremendous help! You should try it with something small and build your confidence!

Carrie: Hmm, you're right it's easier to make little girl skirts and headbands and things. Do your boys like to play dress-up? That might be a fun project for you!

Sarah: GREAT IDEA!!! I might very well steal that and do that as a Christmas gift for my nieces & nephew. Thanks for sharing the idea and the tips. What else have you done with your scraps?

Rachel: I know, I shouldn't have taken that photo of Chloe - she had just woken from her nap so she was rather dazed and confused. :)

Karis said...

I am so impressed. As I've mentioned before, I don't sew so seeing the before picture of the dress and then the finished project was so neat! Way to still be giving while on a tight budget! That can sometimes be a hard balance.

Shannon Smith said...

Wow! Very neat and creative. Way to go!

Melinda said...

You did such a great job. The apron is even more special to me after seeing all the steps that were involved. You are such a wonderful friend to make something so beautiful for me. I especially love the ribbon. Hand made gifts are so special! I just love you, and am so thankful for your friendship!

heatherlyn11 said...

i love it! love it, love it. Totally cute.
I have a pile of memorable baby clothes that are half made into a quilt. I didn't pass them on cause of stains or whatever....they have been sitting, lonely for at least a year and a 1/2. Thanks to your inspiration, I am going to pull them out!
I feel like I am stalking you....coming at you from all angles. facebook, blog....watch out, I am going to be at your door tomorrow:)
Heather

christina said...

alicia-
that looks great! what a good idea. my m-i-l made me a puppet show for my classroom... she used an old sheet. the kids loved it.

Anonymous said...

Way to be resourceful! I am inspired now....:)

the johnson crew said...

alicia, i am so impressed! the green ribbon really gives it what it needs too! way to go!

Kelli said...

Wow, you are amazing!! Great job. I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

ruth said...

How creative! It looks great. And I love the bright green ribbon with the blue fabric. Such a cool color combination!

pamela s said...

That is very cute! Great job! You're very creative to see the dress & think of an apron. I don't think I would ever be able to connect the two without copying someone else. :)

Karen said...

Wow, Alicia! How impressive! Melinda is blessed to have such a thoughtful and industrious friend.

Mrs.T said...

This is adorable, Alicia! Keep up the good work!!

Mrs.T said...

Just wanted to mention a very helpful book that I used a lot for this type of idea in our younger, much poorer days -- New Clothes from Old, by Gloria R. Mosesson. It was published by Bobbs-Merrill in 1977.

Another book which might be of great interest to you, creative as you are, is Design It, Sew It, and Wear It, by Duane Bradley, published by Thomas Crowell in 1979. I haven't used this one as much, but it is very helpful as it shows you how to do this without patterns.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts. I imagine both books are out of print, but I bet you can find them!