4.06.2007

Good Friday thoughts

In preparation for Easter, I've been reading the different gospel accounts of the holy week. (When you read them side by side, it's so interesting to see the difference emphases and perspectives of the writers!)

I was struck last night by two thoughts: 1) the power of Jesus and 2) Jesus' complete trust in God the Father's plan.

John records that when the accusers came to arrest Jesus, He answered, "I am he" and they drew back and fell down at the power of His words. Wow!!! You'd think the accusers would know something was different about Jesus when they reacted that way to His simple declaration of identity.

Jesus also showed His power in restraint. When I read how the mob spat on Him and mocked Him in the book of Mark, I felt my blood boiling. If I were in Jesus' shoes, I would have used all my power to embarrass them or to come down from the cross to show them who was boss. But Jesus showed restraint and allowed Himself to be subject to God the Father's will and ways. His willingness to trust God completely is shown in His subjection to the cross.

He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. [1 Peter 2:24]

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Yesterday I listened to "The Calvary Story" - by Ben Everson and Matt Harper. I try to listen to that every year at this time to think about all that went on.

the johnson crew said...

dear alicia, you are such a good writer, i wish i could put my thoughts to words as well as you do.

what an amazing example of humility and submission we see in Jesus... and all that to carry out the will of the Father... and to forgive us.

carissa said...

Thanks for sharing that Alicia! What a wonderful example we have in Jesus...Trust and Obedience in the Father's plan for our lives. I hope you have a wonderful Easter Celebration. love ya.