1.17.2007

Our first finger-painting session was a success!

In the past few months I've gotten excited again about reading child development books. Recently I've read in at least two places (What to expect from your toddler: the second year and Slow and steady get me ready) that finger-painting is an ideal activity for 17 mos. old toddlers as far as creative development goes.

I found a finger-paint recipe on the web, mixed up some colors and prepped the painting area this afternoon while Chloe napped. I guess I over prepared for the session because Chloe didn't make a mess at all! Maybe she's just naturally neat or maybe she didn't feel much freedom to go wild since this was her first painting experience ever. (Experienced moms will probably agree with the latter).

We both had a grand time with the painting session and will certainly be doing it again soon as I have LOTS of leftover paint (I was a dummy and made the entire paint recipe). Here's a photo journal of our experience, enjoy!


















The artist's palette.

















First things first, how does this stuff taste? (Bland!)

















Ah, the possibilities are endless, mommy! (Like Chloe's painting outfit? We both wore headbands and inside-out-t-shirts. She especially liked wearing a headband like mommy!)

















The first tentative pink strokes.

















Chloe had to point to all the colors and have me say each one. Guess this will be a good way to help her learn colors!
















I took a piece of printer paper and pressed it on Chloe's painting. Voila! Her first masterpiece.

















I was surprised at how quickly Chloe was tired of finger-painting! After two "paintings" she wanted to be done. It certainly was fun while it lasted!

8 comments:

Heather said...

Wow you were really busy today!!! Looks like you had a blast with her!

Shannon Smith said...

The finger painting looks like tons of fun! Chloe's creation looked very nice too!

Janelle said...

What great fun! And what a great Mom Chloe has for doing special things like that with her! You are very inspiring!

Natalie said...

How fun is that!!! I'll have to try that w/ kevin. I was thinking of using frosting and putting food coloring in it, but then, I'd probably eat it. Hmmmm ... I hesitate to try it w/ Kevin b/c I'm afraid he'll be "painting" all over the house. Sometimes it's good to "Supress" creativity maybe???? I'm not sure. :) Anyway ... I'm glad Chloe had fun! :)

Natalie

Karis said...

Kayla and I would've loved to have "dropped in" and painted with you. Of course, I have a feeling that Kayla wouldn't have been so neat about it. I know her attention span would've been about the same. :-) I have to laugh because she asks to color several times a day, but she only colors for five minutes before she's done for that session. I haven't attempted fingerpainting yet.

P.S. Glad to hear Skype worked well for your webcam call.

the johnson crew said...

wow alicia, you are such a good mom! i never read child development books... yikes. i better get going on that. kalynn goes to pre school so i am sure that helps.

chloe's finger painting looks so beautiful. it does look good enough to eat.

you are amazing.

janelle

Unknown said...

Heather: We WERE busy! Matt was gone from 8:30-7:30 so I tried to fill up the time with fun activities to make the time go by faster.

Shannon: Finger painting is very fun! You and Josh need to try it. :)

Janelle: Oh my, I don't know that I'm inspiring. Just bored and looking for different things to do with this curious toddler of mine. Plus we don't have a car at our disposal so we're stuck indoors a lot this winter.

Natalie: Ooo, frosting would be way too yummy for finger paint. My recipe called for equal parts flour and water. Non-toxic but bland enough that Chloe didn't want to just sit there and eat it all. I hear what you're saying about "suppressing creativity", but I think that if you structure the activity so that it's the same thing every time (same place, same materials, etc.) then Kevin wouldn't think he could paint any old place he felt like painting. Does that make sense?

Karis: Please, drop by anytime for a painting session or playdate! :) I sure wish you lived closer. It would be fun to see our little ones play together since they're so close in age.

Janelle: WHEN would you have time to read child development books?!? Don't worry about it girl, I'm just a hyper first-time mom without much to do. :) You're doing an amazing job!! I don't think I'd be laidback enough to do what you're doing. Your heart is so big and you're giving love to some needy and valuable souls - keep it up sister in Christ!

S said...

looks great! I wanted to see some pictures of you in your artist outfit too!! i'll have to file this idea away for when Esther gets older.