5.04.2006

We have a mortgage!

For our entire married life, Matt and I have rented various apartments. When we moved to Ohio for Matt's schooling at Kent State, we had high hopes of finally purchasing our own home sweet home. We been renting our current home for 8 months (the owner's asking price was too high) the owner of the house brought his price down $20,000 and offered to pay our closing costs! Talk about a blessing and answer to prayer! Our mortgage now is very manageable, only slightly higher than our rent, and we are excited about making some improvements. First on the list is to paint our porch. After that we just have some touch-ups to do. I would LOVE to paint the entire inside (right now the whole house is painted in a shade of apricot) but that will have to wait. Right now we're just thrilled to be in our home in a normal-un-collegey-neighborhood with real neighbors. Pray for us as we strive to be kindly loving neighbors that reflect Christ.

What's your housing situation?

9 comments:

Elaine said...

Congrats! There's nothing quite like your own home sweet home!

Kelli said...

That is awesome! I love having our own house. We closed on our house last October, and moved in in January. I have thoroughly enjoyed painting all of the rooms! My mom went to all of the paint stores back home and bought "oops" paints which are gallons of paints that they mixed wrong or customers returned. The majority of our rooms are painted with that! They are only like $5 a gallon. I was painting trim in our 2 spare bedrooms last night - I love my house! Congrats! I am sure the porch will look great wiht a fresh coat of paint. What a nice spring/summer project! Post pictures!

Kelly Glupker said...

Ben and I own our home too, and love being home-owners. Unfortunately it is up for sale as we plan our move to Kentucky. Because Ben is such a handyman we have been able to do a lot of work on it. Since we purchased it two and half years ago, we have re-landscaped the front yard, painted all of the shutters, put on a new roof, put in new carpet, redid our hardwood floors, painted every square inch of the house, put new linoleum in the kitchen, knocked out a wall, tore out some old cupboards, replaced all of the light fixtures and outlets, put in a new furnace, all brand new appliances, re-finished our solid oak front door, built in a work area in the basement with lots of furniture making tools, etc. Just last night Ben was working on painting around the windows inside the house. We have re-done just about everything in our house except the windows. Now that I list out everything we have done, I am really sad to leave it all - but I know it is just "stuff" and I should not be so attached. Congratulations on your new home - you will have a blast decorating and remodeling!
-Kelly

pamela s said...

Congratulations on your new home! Since Geoff was in school when we got married, we still rent. We just keep praying for God to open the door to our own home - someday.

Tracy said...

Congratulations on the purchase of your home. It's great that you were able to buy the house you have already been living in -- No more packing and moving. Ugh, I hate the thought of packing. Hopefully we will own our own home soon (three kids in an apartment sounds a bit crowded to me).

Jenny said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Isn't it great to know that your monthly payment is counting for something???

Right now we're renting AND paying our mortgage. I'm looking forward to the end of THAT stage!

S said...

Congratulations! That's so exciting for you guys! We rent right now, but it's really reasonable b/c it's owned by the seminary. We hope to be able to buy when he graduates next year. Our first two years of married life was in the dorm apt which was "free", but we paid in other ways! LOL! Actually, it was a good opportunity starting out there to save $ and work.

carissa said...

Congratulations....When did/do you move?? I have to sign off for a whole week. Brent's taking the computer..waah waah...I'm such a whiner! love ya "homeowner".

Katie said...

Good for you! Your title made me crack up though. "Yippee! We have a mortgage! We're tens of thousands of dollars in debt!" :) I completely understand your enthusiasm of being a homeowner. It's so nice to invest in your home and know the work you do will be returned to you in cash.

We currently rent. We owned a home in Mpls, and at first wanted to buy in Lou, but it's a good thing we didn't b/c we're moving after only 2 years and the housing market isn't as fast here in KY. When we moved here though, I was happy to rent because I had so many details I was working out with moving, having a baby, selling our house, starting school, jobs, etc., that the thought of not worrrying about a house was a relief to us. I can't wait until we can buy again though! We're looking forward to "renting" this next year (if you can call it that - it will practically be for free), and housing is so high in Aberdeen that we'll have to rent there too. It will be neat to see how the Lord provides over there!

So, have fun with all your new projects! Is Matt handy? Or will you be the project manager? :)