8.02.2010

Pretty tips?

Today was an insanely productive day for me. I simply can't believe all that I got done in a 12 hour span of time! I won't tell you what I accomplished because
a) you won't believe me,
b) you'll think I'm bragging, and
c) God should get the credit since HE supplied me with the strength and motivation.


Five hours of uninterrupted sleep and several cups of coffee helped too.


Mid-afternoon I raced upstairs to use the bathroom and as I washed my hands I caught a passing glance of myself in the mirror. YUCK! Who was that sweaty messy person looking back at me? My brushed-once-this-morning hair was disheveled and frizzy. The powder I had hurriedly applied was completely gone. Sweat droplets, red cheeks (will I EVER remember to put sunscreen on myself?) and blotchiness covered my skin.


Besides that my clothes were a wreck! After grocery shopping and plastering layer 1 on Chloe's birthday pinata I felt like one huge stain.

I don't expect to look like a fresh dewy supermodel while I'm in the grind of mommyhood but I DID hope I'd look better than the bride of Frankenstein. It's no secret that I don't spend much time on myself. Primping and floofing are NOT high on my priority list right now. Sleep, having fun with my kids, sleep, making meals, sleep, connecting with my husband and keeping the house slightly cleaner than filthy are tops on my agenda. Did I mention I need more sleep?


Today I neglected to take a few minutes to pretty myself up. It doesn't usually take more than 5 minutes to do my normal routine of face powder, mascara, clean clothes, painted toenails, earrings, a spritz of perfume and lip gloss. (And I must confess, I often apply my makeup in the car. It saves precious minutes in the morning and I can apply almost everything without ever taking my eyes off the road. Granted, mascara is a bit tricky but I apply that at red lights.)


Which leads me to ask . . . what quick things do you do to up your daily pretty factor?

5 comments:

Karen said...

When I'm feeling an extra need to pretty up, I throw earrings & a bracele on. I also put on a more feminine top--something besides a manly-cut T-shirt. That does it for me!

Karen said...

that's *bracelet*

Mary Ann said...

I feel you with the frizzy hair. Mine is in friz overdrive today. Have you looked for a face powder with SPF in it? I think they make some like that now. Two birds, one stone. :-) Keep up the good fight - I'm sure you look much better than you feel!

Kelly Glupker said...

Lipstick makes me feel tons better!
You might think I'm crazy but I'm one of those moms who does my hair and make up every single day. The trick for me is to get a hair style that's really easy. All I have to do is dry it and put some pomade in it. I feel so much better about myself when I get myself prettied up. I am ready for the day in less than 30 minutes and that includes a shower.

the johnson crew said...

wow, alicia, that takes talent.

i have no suggestions, i just need them.