But then I remember that we're talking kindergarten and not highschool calculus. Actually, I enjoy calculus so that's slightly less intimidating to me. Kindergarten means art projects, reading LOTS of books, learning to tell time, counting money and fun field trips so why am I stressing?!?
SO, what do you currently use for homeschooling curriculum in the major subject areas? I need advice in every area so feel free to give me a detailed report!
8 comments:
Caleb was in K-5 last year and I used ABeka. I loved it, it was colorful and easy to use. One of my main reasons though was the cost was much less, and he had used ABeka in K-4. My only hesitations would be to decide which curriculum you like best even now b/c I do believe they build on each other very much..how they teach reading, phonics, math plus you get used to using it. You can go to viewings of the material (and even get free shipping that way). Last year I didn't buy the teacher part and just counted pages and divided it up over the year. It took us an hour to 2 hrs each day. I had certain subjects MWF and others TR. Mike wanted me to buy the teacher kit this year (I have 2 more that will be home schooled and wanted to included more extras and ideas). This year I stuck with Abeka in everything except Bible. I am using the BJ Bible truths. If you want to know more just let me know!
Hey there,
Well, I am a newbie at this but have been to A LOT of homeschooling conventions b/c of Nathan's job. There is a lot of stuff out there. We have been using BJUPress for k3 and now k4. I really like it and am pretty sure we will be into Kindergarten for Jackson by the Spring. I love that it promotes critical thinking and is not just about "memorize this and spit it back out to me" they build precept by precept and that has been the best to me. I also like the way that they teach phonics with word families (by endings..."ing" "ain" etc and then just add several new letters to the beginning to teach a new word. Helps them read faster b/c they are not sounding out every single letter. Anyway - that's what we are using. I think that we will incorporate classical learning a little later as it compliments BJUPress' style of learning.
Let's see, for Ian (2nd grade) we are using Singapore Math, Easy Grammar, History and Bible cards from Veritas Press (which incorporates alot of different books), Song School Latin, Drawing with Children and Draw Squad.
Calvin (Kindergarten) will be using Singapore Math, Veritas Press Phonics Museum, and will be doing art and Bible alongside of Ian. Another resource that I used last year was First Language Lessons, which was good.
Just enjoy yourself! I'm sure Chloe will learn everything she needs to without a problem at all.
we decided to enroll connor in our local public school, but that decision was recent. at first, we were going to homeschool, and i talked with a few moms that i knew (and trusted) and i was pretty much set in my plan. i love the idea of mystery of history. a great tool to make kids realize that the history was in the making while the Bible was being written. i loved the idea behind "a reason for..." specifically the handwriting selection. putting it into practice while encouraging someone. loved that. singapore math is excellent. i do like the phonics/reading system of bju press. frankly, i love phonics. i think those building blocks are a great way to teach a child to read. another fun choice for homeschool was ...i want to say etiquette factory???... something that helps cover real life situations that would not naturally present a teachable moment at home.
you know what?... my mom (a phenomenal teacher!) always says, "in K-3 you learn to read. after that you read to learn." so, it sounds like you will be well on your way. you'll do great! you love your kids... that shows. and it will show as you teach.
I'm trying to keep it pretty simple bc I'm nervous just like you are! Mostly, I'm nervous that we wont make the progress that I would like to and that Luke won't be interested. This is Luke kindergarten year. We are using Veritas Press' Phonics Museum (yay Tricia!:), Saxon Math 1, then a plethora of memory & recitation (hymn, poem, scripture each month, plus catechism and other stuff. Oh, I also am going to go through Sinclair Ferguson's Big Book of Questions & Answers with him. I'm gathering easy craft ideas, but not doing a real "art" book, except for studing Degas. And we're going to study Tchaikovsky & I'm really hoping I can find a performance of the Nutcracker to take him to; bc he's Luke & quirky and really loves that story. :) so, yeah, that and lots of reading. ;) (prob just told you all that on fb the other night . . .)
Last year for Sam's K year we used Sonlight P4/5, and added in Singapore Math, A Reason for Handwriting, and the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. We also added in some lapbooks from Homeschool Share, and some projects from handleonthearts.com .
This year for 1st grade, we will continue his reading journey with the OPG, and I'll be adding in First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease (all by Jessie Wise). We'll also continue with Singapore Math and A Reason for Handwriting, and we'll be using Sonlight Core K for history/geography/science. (I was able to find the core used at a fabulous price, which I am super thankful to God for!! We wouldn't have been able to afford it new this year, so I probably would have repeated P4/5 and added in some of my own stuff . . . but I'm thankful that now I don't have to!) Isn't it awesome how many choices are out there for homeschooling curriculum? I've loved reading over what others are doing and seeing all the variety. When I was a kid, homeschooling choices were so limited (we only knew one family who did, and they used ACE)--yet now there is so much available that it can be overwhelming!!
Anyway, I will be interested to hear what you come up with for Chloe's K year!! I'm sure you will have tons of fun. :)
This will be my fourth year homeschooling. Kylie will be in 4th grade and Mia will be in 2nd. We are using Sonlight (Love it!), Math-U-See for math, and ABeka for handwriting. See my blog for more explanation about why I love Sonlight. Kylie had ABeka for Kindergarten. She went to our church's Christian school. She did really well with it. I like their phonics program, but didn't like using it for 1st grade at home. It was too much busywork/worksheets for us. Just remember, whatever God calls you to do, He will also equip you to do! You will do great!
Holly
good topic- alicia! i have loved reading the responses. i have only done minimal research in this area but since esther's only 4 i have time. :) a book that helped was 100 top homeschool picks by hunt. and then the well-trained mind.
we are doing answers in genesis preschool curriculum this year- but in the future we are leaning towards classical- using Veritas Press, Reason for Handwriting, and Math-U-See. Still like BJU Phonics stuff too. There's lots of good resources out there. It's hard because i want the 'perfect' resource and there isn't one. :)
Post a Comment