Most of you know that I did cloth diapers with Chloe until about age 2. Since she's so tall and big for her age, I had a difficult time finding diapers to fit her after her 2nd birthday. So we've been going disposable with her ever since. Thankfully she's mostly potty trained so we don't fork out too much dinero for her diapers these days.
Our diapering system with Chloe was the old-fashioned traditional way of cloth diapers. Pins, diapers, liners and then plastic pants over top. It took a little getting used to but once we got in the groove of our system, it wasn't bad at all. I've always been envious of those fancy schmancy all-in-one cloth diapers though. They look so easy to use and to clean!
I had all the diapers, plastic pants and various other supplies washed and ready to use when Clive arrived on the scene. Unfortunately, he was too small for the diapers I have! Arrrggh.
My mom generously bought Clive a supply of brand new all-in-one diap-ees! Thanks, grandma! The best part is she got them way cheap since she bought a brand manufactured and sold out of China. The brand is called YuYun and charges only $3-$5 per diaper. You can buy them from their website or on ebay.
Seems like cloth diapering is becoming popular as folks become "greener" and more money conscious.
What are your thoughts? Have any of you seriously considered going cloth?
For those of you that do use cloth, what brand do you prefer? Do you find using cloth to be worth the extra time?
7 comments:
Those are crazy cheap! You'll have to give us a full review once you start using them. I hope all goes well. I'm still using cloth and think it's worth it, although I won a year's supply of Pampers diapers and wipes so I use those when we are out and about!
Funny, I haven't told many in our blogging world that I have gone to cloth with Audrey. I guess I must say that my reasoning was not for eco-friendly reasons. My number one reason was because Audrey was struggling with diaper rash; I couldn't seem to do anything to help her. Sometimes it was the creamed that helped the next time powder worked bettter. I did do the diaper and pin system a couple of times just to give her skin a break, but I found that the plastic pants bothered her skin too. So the main thing that always helped was letting her dry out all natural. . . So thus my quest in the cloth diapering world. My other reasoning is since I'm a SAHM I feel that I need to do whatever I can to save money since I'm not bringing any money. OK, so we are using Bum Genius 3.0 and they great!! I'm with Tricia and would love to hear how you think they work. The nice thing about the Bum Genius is that it adjust from newborn to toddler; we decided this would be more cost effective for us since (as the Lord wills) we desire to have more children. I haven't been using that long so I can't tell you how they work on tiny little guys. . . but they do well for Audrey. Hope you enjoy your new diapers! Sorry this is soo long!
I am becoming more and more interested in cloth diapers since I started reading the blogs of more stay at home moms. We were raised on cloth diapers, my mom thinks my kids take so long to potty train because they stay too dry in the disposables. Valid point, mother.
I recently read an article on this topic. They say disposable is best for the environment, but that it may be different depending on where you live. I always thought cloth were the way to go for the environment - but I'm sure there are arguments for both sides. I wanted to do cloth, but I can barely get laundry done the way it is. Kudos to you!!
http://www.ilea.org/lcas/franklin1992.html
here's the article link
All I have to say is that you're pretty amazing, Al. I've bought the cheapest diapers at Walmart and been happy with that.
We're expecting again. Such a suprise.....SHOCKER actually!!
This will be it :)
Love ya.
We switched to cloth diapering last summer, but we've had to consistently switch back and forth with Andy b/c the cloth diapers keep giving him rashes. We use both the traditional diaper and pin and Bum Genious.
Woo Hoo for grandmas! I agree - give us a full review!! I'm currently using BumGenius pocket diapies, and L.O.V.E them. Another cloth diapering momma that is a friend of mine recently suggested hemp inserts because of their ability to absorb a ton without the bulk. This would be a plus with my little guy, for sure, and we will probably look into it for Muth child #2. Aaron has his cloth diaper wardrobe (sweatpants!) and his disposable diaper wardrobe (normal pants). I imagine that the bulkiness factor would be easier with a little girl in skirts...
Post a Comment