3.28.2008

Question for moms of tummy sleepers

Clive is sleeping well on his tummy but I have a logistics problem. Because he almost always fusses a little bit before falling asleep, he drools and sweats on the sheet all the time. To prevent washing his sheets every single day I've been laying out a blanket on top of the sheet and tucking it in tightly so it won't bunch up or be a choking hazard.

Well, our Clive is proving to be an extremely active and strong little guy! Today he managed to grab the blanket he was laying on and pull it up. He then somehow maneuvered himself to turn 180 degrees! Of course all that activity woke him up and his nap didn't happen this morning.

What do you moms of tummy sleepers do to save your sheets from constant drool?

7 comments:

Holly said...

My Mia was a tummy sleeper as a baby, and I used a small, square waterproof mat. It really didn't slide around all that much. You can find these in the baby dept. at Target or Babies 'R' Us. I think these mats are usually used for diaper changes, but they also work great for drool and spit-up, too.

christina said...

holly took the words right out of my mouth....er.... fingers. :) i had a small square waterproof mat that i used when connor was deciding that he wanted to become a sleeper. worked like a charm, since he was a major league spitter. if he can get his hands on it he might be able to wrap up like a tortilla, but it might be just stiff enough to stay put.

Kara said...

I did exactly what you are doing, but mine didn't move around as much as your do! I guess that means I have no advice for you, boy am I helpful. THe waterproof mat sounds great!

Heather said...

I had the same little "mat" that I used with both of my kids too. It worked really well, and I didn't have to change the sheet as often. Hopefully it works for you!!!

Karen said...

MOTS--Moms of Tummy Sleepers... that'd be me! Although I was too paranoid in the first few weeks to let Livvie do it, she definitely preferred it. And she was a big-time spitter, too.

I finally just bought something that looks like a miniature bumper pad, made especially for that purpose. It's quilted, with ties for securing it to the crib rungs, width-wise.

And all that sounds very confusing. So I spent 2 seconds looking it up. It's called a sheet saver. Here's a link:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2391668

Good luck!

Karis said...

My crazy little bug is no longer a tummy sleeper... and hasn't been since about two months... no suggestions here.

I bet Clive is having a blast moving around like that. Krista would get the biggest grin on her face after pushing off her feet and moving herself backwards or moving herself around in a circle. The equivalent of a roller coaster ride to us? :-)

Karis said...

Alicia, that's exactly what Dan and I were laughing about when I told him the story and said "maybe she was thinking "Sonshine." :-) So funny!

I started bathing them together when Krista was about two months because we were traveling and I didn't have the baby bathtub...and believe it or not, it was easier laying Krista between Kayla's legs for Kayla to hold on to than to bathe Krista in the sink by myself. Kayla of course loved it, but we've only done it a handful of times because we don't have a bathtub where we live -- just a shower so we can only use a bathtub when we're somewhere that has one. Kayla does a good job holding Krista during the bath, but I turned to get Krista's towel when Krista was just two months and Kayla decided she was done holding Krista and well, you can imagine the rest....Kayla sliding Krista off her lap with no idea of the consequences, me trying to scramble to grab Krista, and me wasting my breath trying to explain why Kayla can't just let her go...never a dull moment as I'm sure is the same at your house.