3.19.2008

A good night's sleep

Sleep training is working great with little Clive! His sleep patterns still aren't consistent every day but he's a much happier guy now that he's well rested. What's floored me the most about Dr. Weissbluth's sleep training methods (see details in my previous post) is the concept that sleep begets sleep. The more rest Clive gets the more he wants to sleep! That seems so illogical to me.

As I continue to read Dr. Weissbluth's book, Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child, I'm becoming staunchly convinced of the importance of sleep to overall health. Not just in children either. Of course in children, we can see the effects of sleep (or lack thereof) more clearly than in adults. Seems to me that a lot of wired and cranky kids are simply chronically overtired. We've all witnessed it - the screaming or naughty child in the grocery store whose parents are shopping at 10 at night. C'mon, put that poor kiddo to bed!

I am floored at how much this baby of mine sleeps! He's still not sleeping all the way through the night but he's made huge strides in that area. Last night he went to bed at 7:45 and slept until 2:15. After a BIG feeding he slept until 8 this morning. I couldn't believe how light it was when he first roused me from slumber. I can't tell you how luxurious it felt to have such big chunks of sleep! Ahhhhhhhhhh. And it would have been even better if I would have gotten myself to bed earlier. But alas I was fighting with a new baking project (details in a future post) and I was unwilling to yield despite all evidences that the pastry wasn't turning out.

All in all, we're on the right track now for sleeping. The light is at the end of the tunnel! Rejoice with me!

5 comments:

Abby said...

YAY for sleep! Elijah has reverted back and isn't doing so great with his sleeping. Although, we just found out this morning that he has another ear infection, so that could be the culprit as of late! He's pretty much eliminated a nap during the day (by his own doing) and then when I get him to sleep, he sleeps for a while, and then wakes up HYPER! It's probably his way of trying to stay awake - if he would just give in! Then maybe mommy could get some sleep! Oh, the joys of being a parent!!! I'm happy that Clive is getting better sleep, therefor you are too!! Praying it keeps up!!

Karis said...

Rejoicing with you who is rejoicing! Sundays are evidence in our family that missing naps or shortened naps make for the next sleep time to be harder rather than easier; I totally have seen that sleep begets sleep with both of my kiddos.

Yay for sleep is right -- for both mom and baby! I feel like a different person these days!

Mary Ann said...

Three cheers for Clive! I hope you are able to continue on this pattern of getting longer periods of sleep. I understand the struggle to stay well rested (not b/c of kiddos but b/c of chronic busy-ness). Last night I got 6 hours! That's an accomplishment for me most nights ;-)

Heather said...

I am so happy for you and little Clive!! I am sure it was wonderful to see sunlight when you woke up! I hope it continues!!!

Jen said...

I had the same problem when Sierra started to sleep. You want to get stuff accomplished or spend time with your hubby, but you also feel the effects when he/she wakes up for the mid evening feeding. But it sounds like he is doing great with sleeping - hallelujah!