2.29.2008

Snippets

Often this week I've sat down to post to the blog only to get distracted and leave my thoughts unfinished. Now that I'm a mommy of two, I'm constantly surprised at how fast the days go by! So here are some snippets: bite-sized portions of blog-worthy news from our life this last week . . .

Sleep
Yup, Clive's sleeping for 5 hours at a shot was a total fluke. He's gone back to 3-4 hour chunks again. I'm not stressing about it anymore. I do pretty well energy-wise as long as I make myself go to bed when he does! I can usually get 6-7 hours of sleep that way and make it through the day without a nap. Afternoon naptime is precious time for me to get a few things done around the house and for my online job.

Pink-eye
The pink-eye thing was a false alarm. Turns out I had just been wearing my right contact for an embarrassingly long amount of time. Ooopsies! After going sans contacts for a few days the redness and swelling disappeared. Guess I have to be better about keeping track of how long I wear them.

Indoor activities
As the snow continues to fall on us in Ohio, we've been housebound almost all week. A few trips to the craft store and some searching online gave us fodder for fun indoor activities. Chloe's been coloring pictures using foamy stickers (much easier for her toddler hands to peel off their paper backing than regular stickers). She can spend 15-20 minutes using the stickers and her markers to make pictures. It's been great fun to watch her pour over a drawing with such intensity. And she tells a story while she's drawing and sticking on stickers. Too cute!

Another fun craft, though not taking up as much time, has been using pipe cleaners to make various shapes or animals. Chloe puts beads on the pipe cleaner and then I bend it up to make a fish or heart or what not.

One evening we had a bubble blowing party in the kitchen. That was way fun! In fact, I think I had just as much (if not more) fun than Chloe blowing our homemade bubbles through various bubble wands. We made wands out of pipe cleaners and then we used regular kitchen utensils to blow bubbles. Slotted spoons, strainers, and play-doh stencils worked especially well to blow bubbles through. The bonus was that when I wiped up the mess, my kitchen floor got a much-needed cleaning. Yay!

Outdoor activities
Chloe is a snow angel addict! It's so cute to see her plop down in the snow and go crazy with her arms and legs. Our front yard (and our neighbors') have been thoroughly snow-angeled by our little angel. :) While playing outside we also crafted a little snowman complete with scarf, hat, fly swatter arms, carrot nose and raisin eyes.

What have you been up to of late?

4 comments:

Jen said...

What a great mom making and doing so many creative things for Chloe to enjoy!

Heather said...

You are so great at thinkging things up to be creative! Good for you!!!

We too are ready for some nice weather...the kids get so bored inside all day long.

Maybe something that will help...Kevin had serious problems with one of his eyes (could have lost his vision) because he left his contacts in for so long. Our eye doctor told him how extremly dangerous it is to keep them in for longer periods of time. I have a little note on our mirror as to the date that he should change them. It seems to help him a bit because he too forgets to change them all of the time!!!

Have a great weekend and hopefully Clive will start sleeping longer!!!

Rachel said...

The 3 of us planted a little herb garden and we're looking forward to seeing the seeds grow. Michael loves the Richard Scarry story about Farmer Alfalfa planting his seeds. I thought that it would be neat for him to see it happen in real life. We'll see how it goes.

Three days ago, we had enough snow on our deck for Michael to use his little shovel:). I tried to make a tiny snowman with Michael but he was much more interested in throwing the snowballs at the dog. At least we had SOME snow to play with this year and he LOVED it:).

Michael LOVES his Noah's Ark foamy stickers and he has a blast coloring them and sticking them on his closet door. I don't mind because it doesn't leave a residue.

Last week, I used your idea and I traced him and his stuffed animals. He was coming down with the flu at the time and wasn't too excited about it. I brought the drawing out again and he had much more interest in it:).

We've made a fort and a tunnel with some big boxes which he seems to like. I also put a big, old comforter over our couch cushions and he loves to crawl through the "tunnel".

Unfortunately, while he was ill, I let him watch more videos than normal. I'm not sure what to do when he's sick but videos seem to help provide some diversion. He even lost interest in reading and cuddling when he was REALLY ill. I beat myself up over allowing him so much media time but it seemed to take his mind off of his misery.

Sara said...

Hey girl! Sounds like you are making the best of your homebound days. Surely, spring will be here SOON! Thankfully, God led us to nearly snow free NORTH CAROLINA! Growing up in Michigan with snow, you would think I have a deep rooted love for the stuff, but I just don't! I can't get enough of the beaches and sunshine! I might even be "addicted" to them! Yikes. Glad to see your kiddos are doing well. Gage was sleeping through the night at about 8 weeks, I think, but recently started getting up mid night again. Oh well. I used to be VERY schedule-oriented when it came to kids, but I have changed my thinking about all that! Best of luck!!