2.06.2008

Whole wheat flour extravaganza

Are you bloggers ready for some whole-wheaty fun?

Today I made four loaves of the most delicious wheat bread ever. I've had quite the time finding a truly yummy-tasting wheat bread recipe. The all wheat flour bread recipes I've tried create a product that is either way too dense for my liking or tastes more like cardboard than bread.

Mixing up the bread dough today got me thinking about wheat flour. I love using it but I only have two reliable recipes I use; one is for the aforementioned bread and the other is a peanut butter waffle recipe. I want to add more to my wheaty cooking repertoire!

Jenny M. recently linked up a tasty looking cookie recipe using wheat flour instead of white. What wheat flour recipes do you use and recommend? Email me your recipes at aliciamhorn@gmail.com and next week I'll post a collaboration of all your wheaty contributions. (Can you tell I like using the adjective wheaty?)

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Unfortunately, I do not have any whole wheat recipes that I like well enough to pass along. I do, however, substitute the King Arthur white whole wheat flour for part of the all-purpose flour in just about everything. It has the same nutritional benefits w/o the heavy taste. My husband doesn't care for the regular whole wheat flour but he is unable to detect the white whole wheat flour - heh, heh:).

I can't wait to try some of the recipes that others send to you. I actually like the taste of regular whole wheat flour and wouldn't mind making a few recipes for little Michael and myself. What a fun post - I ALWAYS love new recipes!

Mary Ann said...

Alicia - sadly I hardly ever cook these days so I have no recipes to pass on. However, I would be interested in getting the whole wheat bread recipe that you like. If you have a chance could you e-mail it to me at m.annie77@gmail.com? Thanks!

Mary Ann said...

BTW, I like the adjective 'wheaty', too! ;-)

ruth said...

I don't really have any wheat recipes either, but I'd be interested in what you post!

Jenny said...

I substitute halvesies all the time - half whole wheat and half white. MOST of the time it doesn't affect the taste too much. I will have to look through my recipes and send you the ones that work the best. It might take awhile, but they will get to you eventually!! Ha ha...I'd be interested in your bread recipe as well!!

Anonymous said...

You guys totally need to start using whole wheat pastry flour. It's the bomb! I substitute it in all my baking recipes for all-purpose flour. It's not as heavy as plain old whole wheat flour, but still has the goodness of it. That's the only flour I use. Unless I'm cooking for another family. Then I use all-purpose flour. I've made brownies out of it and no one can tell the difference.

Whole Wheat Pastry Flour:

A flour similar to refined white pastry flour, however not all of the bran and germ portions of the wheat kernel have been removed during the milling process. Whole-wheat pastry flour is produced from soft-wheat and it has a fine-texture and a high starch content. Because of the presence of some of the bran and germ, pastry items made with whole-wheat pastry flour are more nutritious than pastries made with white pastry flour, but they are not quite as light and airy.


FWIW- I also have to use about half and half ww bread flour and all-purpose flour to make my bread turn out yummy also.