We usually do ok hanging around the house but lately I've been getting restless. We can only do play-doh or bake so many times. Plus I'm fairly limited when Clive is awake as he wants to be held a lot. And we're instituting a movie-only-every-other-day rule so no chance plopping Chloe into a chair to zone out for an hour. (I'm curious, what are your toddler tv viewing limitations?)
The other day I got the bright idea to trace Chloe onto some paper bags I taped together. Chloe loved it! She colored herself and then we traced a few of her stuffed animal friends. All three drawings are now hanging proudly in our hallway.
Today we went "fishing" in a makeshift boat (i.e. rubbermaid storage tub) and then we brought out some old baby toys of Chloe's for Clive's future use. Of course Chloe was happy to break them in for him. It's always fun to get some new-again toys into playing circulation.
I'm sure you all are much more creative than I am . . . what do you do indoors to help the winter months fly by?
8 comments:
My kids are totally felling cabin fever!! They get so bored when we are at home in the evenings. I can tell they just want to get outside!!!
We normally allow them to watch TV for about an hour after they get home. This gives us time to get dinner ready. When they do watch TV they will usually watch the cooking channel, discovery channel or TLC. Depends what is on. I don't really care for Nick and Disney. The shows that are on in the evening tend to be WAY to grown up for the kids.
They normally don't mind because Logan loves to watch Emeril on Food Network...I know it sounds weird, but I am SO not complaining!!!
I love your idea of taping paperbags together...I think I will be trying that. I will let you know how it goes.
I wish that I had some paper bags to tape together! I have some old moving boxes that I may unfold and try your idea. I'll just have to maneuver them from out of our storage area first:). I love your idea and plan to "borrow" it.
Michael watches an Einstein mid-morning if it works out. We play outside, play with cars and trucks, coloring, play-doh, music time, letters/numbers, mega-blocks, cutting and gluing (I cut and he glues with the glue stick), baking, lots of reading - just the typical stuff. I wouldn't say that I'm creative but there are times that I get an idea now and then. I wish that I'd write them down:).
We try to limit Michael's video time to a total of an hour a day in half hour increments. I like to sit with him and explain the things that he is watching. That's just our way of doing things though.
Alicia - here are 2 ideas I remember from my childhood: get all your extra blankets & drape them over furniture, kitchen table, etc. & build houses/forts; if you have the room, pull the mattress off the foot of the bed & then do tumbling off the box springs. Both ideas are a little messy, but my sister & I had so much fun doing stuff like that ;-) Good luck with the cabin fever (I've got a touch of it myself!).
I've seen your comments everywhere! I haven't been able to find your blog yet though. so... hello! Your kids are so cute.
I've enjoyed reading your blog, but haven't commented until now. I think the building a fort idea is great. I have a card table that I haul out for just the types of days you are describing. Throw a blanket over the top and the girls have a great time playing in their new "house." Also, I've taped aluminum foil to the kitchen table, squirted shaving cream onto it, and let the girls "finger paint" to their hearts' content. It doesn't stain anything, and it smells great! =) The girls also like to build with blocks and make houses for their "My Little Ponies" or "Fisher Price Little People" to live in. Just some ideas I thought of . . . Have fun!
Thanks for your comment on my pregnant post. . notice I am not showing my face. . I am apparently hiding some of my "33 week" belly in my cheeks and chin:)
i remember my kindergarden teacher tracing us on a paper and we got to color it and i LOVED it...
you are such a creative mommy... i will have to check back and get everyones ideas.
Give her a paper bag to go "shopping" with! Save food boxes and tape them closed and she can play with those.
Have her help you clean. Just wet a cloth and let her "dust". Or give her the broom. My kids love to "help" clean. :D
Give her a feather to blow around on the floor.
Bubbles in the bathroom.
Tupperware towers...Those are things my kids like to do. WE have definitely been experiencing cabin fever. In fact, Logan said he didn't want to go outside until the snow melted and there was grass again! :D
Post a Comment