The fabulous news is that Chloe now enjoys sitting on the potty and will willingly do so throughout the day. She has had some recent successes and she gets so cute and excited when she actually goes pee-pee on the potty. (Forgive me if that's TMI for you! Pee-pee and poo-poo have become ingrained in our family's vocabulary lately. I even made up some songs to help Chloe with making pee-pees and poo-poos. Ok, that was definitely TMI. The funniest moment was when I overheard my scholarly husband using such potty lingo and trying to sing my homemade songs. I wish I would have gotten that on tape!)
The frustrating news is that her strong-as-steel bladder only relieves itself 2-3 times a day so we do a lot more potty-sitting than potty-going. Yesterday I gave her more playing freedom and she'd sit on the potty every 40 minutes or so. When it got close to nap time I shortened the intervals because I knew her bladder was ready. By the time she succeeded in going potty (around 2:30), she had sat on the potty TEN TIMES already. I was thoroughly pooped! (pun not intended)
When I reached my patience limit and was near tears, Chloe leaned over, put her head on mine and said sweetly, "I love you mommy!" That was just what I needed to hear at that moment. Thank you, God for sweet moments of refreshment!
Today at Bible study I was reminded of God's purpose in all things - even in something as silly as potty-training.
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. [Romans 5:1-5]
7 comments:
All right - I had a very nice comment all ready to publish when my sweet little son somehow erased it. He handed me/threw his cup into my lap and it hit a button on the laptop. So, here I am two hours later.:)
Chloe is doing a great job with potty training! Her steel bladder will come in handy when you are out and about. How funny that your hubby sings your potty songs. A tape of that would be quite hilarious:).
What a sweet little Chloe you have. I'll bet that your heart just swelled with love that much more for her. Get some rest - you've got another day of potty training ahead of you. One of these days, she'll be a pro.:)
From pregnancy hormones to breastfeeding hormones... tears were close to coming when I read her "Mommy, I love you." What a gift from the Lord those four words were.
That is the sweetest thing ever!!! I too think Chloe is doing very well for as long as you've been doing it! We're still in the process too and I wonder if it will ever end. We can always pray for that day to come where everything just clicks in their little heads! Keep up the good work Mommy!
I hope you're having a great Friday with much progress in Chloe's training! Hang in there!
Since she can hold it, if you're brave enough, you could try not sitting her every 40 minutes and just waiting for her to tell you she has to go and only take her before naps/bedtime and before you go anywhere - just a thought. It's a gamble, you could be pleasantly surprised, or you could have a puddle to clean up . . . at the very least, you could try stretching out the intervals?
Rachel: Thanks for your kind comment! You're right, my heart swelled for her at that moment. God knows just when I need to hear those precious words!
Karis: I don't believe you're back to blog commenting already!?! I hope you are making good use of your mom and getting your rest, girl. When she said those words I just smiled and sighed and realized how good God is to me for encouraging me at just the right moment!
Janelle: That is EXACTLY what I'm praying for - that clicking moment. Countless moms have told me how easy it was to potty train their kids when they reached the magical age of 2.5 and everything clicked. I have a feeling Chloe's brain clicking is a slow process on this new concept. :) Good luck to you and Aaron on the pottying! I think it's great that you're trying with him so early. So many folks say that you have to wait with a boy.
Sarah: Yup, that's what I have been starting to try (re: stretching out the potty-sitting intervals). It's just that when I know she needs to go (i.e. before naptime) I've been making her sit on and off every 15 minutes until the magic happens. :) I've definitely been giving her (and I in the process) more freedom to play and run around during the day instead of hovering around the bathroom.
Boy, do I wish you would have caught Matt on tape!
Chloe has such a good Mommy to love.
Post a Comment