2.07.2007

Thermostat Survey

As the arctic chill moves across the midwest, I've attempted to convince my husband to crank up our thermostat. And he did! We've gone up one whole degree to 68! Thank the Lord for a working furnace and indoor heat to stay warm during these crazy frigid days.

Our household thermostat debate has made me curious, what temperature is your thermostat at during this winter weather? When you post your answer, also indicate what type of abode you heat (apartment, one-story house, duplex, etc.) and also which state you live in.

Stay warm!

15 comments:

Jenny said...

This is a great question, and I am curious to see what everyone else answers! We live in MI - where the temps of late have caused things to freeze solid (like maybe my brain, ha ha) and keep our thermostat set at 68. It would be lower, but since we have Aaron, we kicked it up a couple degrees. We have a one-story home, 1200 square feet or so, and it is heated with a boiler and radiant heat pipes running through our concrete slab/floor.

Tricia said...

We keep ours at 68 but as anyone who visits us can attest to..it doesn't feel like the average 68. Our house is a 1920's two story with standing radiators throughout the house and very old windows so it's a bit drafty. We love it though. New windows would be a huge improvement I'm sure, but there would be 20 of them to replace...and 6 of them were already done! "Mucho mula" that we don't have!

Matt & Nicki said...

We live in an apartment. We have baseboard heat that we DON'T pay for and it is pretty much impossible to regulate despite the knob on the heater that shows numbers between 1-4. Anyway, there are times where it is so stuffy in here that even with -15 degree temperatures I am cracking the door and then other times(at night when we go to bed and in the morning when we get up) there is frost on the inside of the windows and it is so cold! So, things are not consistent here but I am so thankful to be in a warm apartment.

Tracy said...

We live in a 4 level split home (basically it's two floors). So far we keep it at 69-70 at night and 65 during the day

Heather said...

Great question, Alicia. Kevin and I have recently had the same debate. We have a ranch style home, with our family room, play room and office in the basement. Needless to say up until this past week, we have been keeping our temp at 66. I never minded it but when the temps got to -30 windchills outside...Kevin so kindly moved it up to 68!!! ;) What a husband!! Our heater still runs ALL the time...i am looking forward to some warmer weather so we can turn the temps back down.

carissa said...

71 degrees/ duplex#2/ But, I think it says it's warmer than it is :) great question

Kelly Glupker said...

When we lived in Michigan we had a one story (with a basement) house that was about 1200 square feet. We bought a new furnace that proved to be quite an investment. We were able to keep our thermostat set at about 64 and then 62 at night. It's pretty toasty in the bed with two people so we always turn ours way down at night. If we had company we turned it up because they would be cold. We just got used to wearing warmer clothes. In our apartment we have been keeping the heat around 65. In our home I am the one who turns it down because I am the cheap one!

pamela s said...

Well, I guess we're blazing hot compared to everyone else. I'm constantly freezing cold & Geoff is a furnace at all times. We both work during the day, so our heat is at 60, but when we go home it's up to 70 until about 11 pm & overnight it goes back to 60. We live in a 2 story townhome/apartment. We only have windows facing one direction because other townhomes surround us on all three sides. That helps with insulation. In this area of PA we use oil heat that's pushed out of vents (celiling vents downstairs & floor vents upstairs). Heat's included in our rent, but we still try to be frugal.

ruth said...

We have our thermostat set to 65 pretty much all the time. We live in a townhouse. It's an end unit, so we really can't "borrow" heat from our neighbors, but our downstairs tends to lock in the heat quite nicely. Our bedroom is always cold, but that's what down comforters are for, right?

Tuesday was the first day this winter that we actually cranked the thermostat up to 75. That's becuase our pipes froze, and we had no water. The offending pipes are in closet off the back of the house, and we recently discovered that the closet is not insulated. What a silly design!

Elaine said...

Our house in Michigan was built in 1991 and is a 1450 sq ft Cape Cod. We kept it at a balmy 72! Being the Southern California girl that I am, I REALLY DON'T like the cold! In fact, I'm getting chilly reading the other comments!

Janelle said...

We live in Florida, but temps here have been unusually cool these past couple weeks. We live in a simple one story house on a concrete slab that is about 1400 square feet. I usually try to keep the thermostat set to 68, but these past weeks it's been set at 70. I know my blood has definitely aclimated to living in Florida, because if it gets below 50 here I am FREEZING! We have nothing to complain about because the lowest temp we've had this winter was 18 degrees and that was only for one day. Thank God for the roof he provides over our heads and the heat or AC He provides to keep us comfortable, even though we don't deserve it!

nathan said...

ooh, good question. i must admit it's good to read likeminded "heaters". we're in a 1940s detroit area bungalow. horribly drafty (our so-called "newer" windows have major gaps and our front door lets in a constant stream of frigid air) last year b/c of connor we installed a digital thermostat, and it's been great. i keep it at 67 during the day and 60 at night. i'm pretty sure the windchill from the front door makes it way cooler than that so we have some little space heaters. i set connor's heater at about 75 during the night and his room is always so toasty...i'm always tempted to sleep in there! :) during this cold snap i've been leaving connor's pj's under his jeans...he seems to like it, and his lips haven't been blue :)

Mary Ann said...

I live in IN & I have not been dealing with the cold very well! I freeze all day at work - I work with all men & for whatever reason they are never as cold as I am:-) Our house is old & there is some remodeling going on so part of it is uninsulated at the moment. The thermostat is set on 68 but I keep my space heater close by at all times. 41 days until the first day of Spring!

Katie said...

I am appalled at how high we have to set the thermostat! But, the main reason it's been at 76 (you read it right, 76) at night is because lately with the temp around zero, we would FREEZE in the basement where we live (remember, we live with Chris' grandma right now, in her basement). It's a finished basement, but the only heat vents are in our bedroom and the bathroom - leaving Luke's room and the living room pretty cold. Bright people that we are, we didn't get a space heater yet. Duh. I turn it down to 70 when I'm upstairs, or I'd suffocate.

I've been putting Luke to bed in 2 pairs of jamies, because the kid won't sleep with any covers on.

the johnson crew said...

what an interesting question, kinda fun to read what everyone says.

we keep our heat at 78 for the most part (but about 10 minutes ago i moved it up to 70 b/c i just couldn't shake off this chill no matter how many hot drinks i drank.)

before we got our kids we kept it at 68 while we were home and awake and we had a programable thermostat and it would automatically go down to 56 at night and while we were at work.

we have a 1.2 story home in mpls. we have a newer furnace and forced air.