Well, today was the antisythesis of yesterday. I was in bed early last night but ended up staying up until midnight reading a book! Though it was late it was incredibly delicious to just read an engaging book (Madman by Terry Groot).
So, Chloe and I slept until 8 this morning and that set the tone for our sluggish day. We moved slowly, missed Chloe's reading time at the library, and were both generally crabby. Chloe must be struggling with something because she hardly ate anything today and was super whiney this afternoon. And she even threw her first real fit! That's not a first I'm proud of . . . she was tugging at my legs as I tried to clean up the kitchen and I gave her a stern "No". She collapsed on the floor, curled up on her side and screamed! I told her no again, and then just let her have her scream.
Boy, was it frustrating to endure her crying! What tricks of the trade do you moms suggest for handling such things?
Thankfully, Chloe finally collapsed for a nap about 3:45 and I happily joined her for some zzzzzs. Matt whisked us away to Subway for dinner and a very comprehensive Wal-Mart excursion.
And now, all is quiet. Ahhhhhh. Thank goodness God's mercies are new every morning.
4 comments:
I totally understand sluggish days. I pray for strength daily! I think that coffee sounds soooo good. I just bought Foldgers Hazelnut..mmmm. We are going through our tantrum stages regularly now. LOTS of discipline and consistency. Took 1 hr of being in Chloe's crib til she said please. She'd throw herself on the floor screaming before...Eden's pretty compliant! Praise God one of them is :) Hang in there and remember CONSISTENCY with whatever you decide. God will honor that! love ya
Carissa's got lots more experience than I do! I agree with her totally about consistency. In the last week or so, Luke has been pushing things too. You just gotta know that they are smart little buggers and will do what you let them! But, consistant and prayerful discipline (esp. spankings - prayerful and careful spankings, that is) are effective and they still love you. Children thrive when they are secure in their boundaries (being well-rested is also a MAJOR factor for Luke). This is a good post topic; I've been wanting some advice from other moms lately!
a hearty amen to the moms before me! especially since i'm still in the rookie stage. connor is a major fit thrower. it's hard at this age b/c i don't always know if he gets the whole "wrong attitude" thing. i know when he gets a swat for touching the tv--he gets it. b/c he doesn't touch anymore and a simple "no, don't touch!" will get the point across for pretty much anything else. well, i'm still trying to figure the whole tantrum thing out, so let me know if you get any hot tips. :)
dear alicia,
your "sluggish day" kinda sounds familiar...although i wouldn't call my day's "sluggish". for the most part i spend my days running around the house in circles: changing diapers, giving baths, feeding meals & bottles, wiping up spills, washing sheets, scrubbing carpet spots, doing laundry, kissing owies, breaking up fights, administering time outs, changing more poopie diapers and scrubbing poopies off pants, emptying trash (because whole house stinks) and somewhere in there trying to take a shower when the kids seem interested enough in little einstein to give me a few minutes to myself. by the way, i quit drinking coffee...not because i get enough sleep, but because i don't have time to grind it and brew it anymore...i think i need to work on that. as far as advice...i don't have a lot to give other than to remember Christ throughout your day and how patient and gracious he is to us as repetitive sinners and also to remember that our actions and attitude are a form of worship. that is something i am learning...if my contentment and fulfillment is in having perfect children, perfectly clean home, and tremendous meals is my ultimate goal...i'll never be satisfied. ok, enough ramble ramble from me...i hope this even makes sens. i love you. janelle
Post a Comment