After reading Heather's recent post and watching a despairing movie this weekend (Syriana) Matt and I found ourselves praising God for the family we have. We are so thankful that we have a healthy family with healthy God-strengthening relationships. We praise Him for a loving extended family, too! We are blessed and fortunate people.
We quietly celebrated Matt's 32nd birthday Saturday. He requested jambalaya for his birthday dinner and I also made some yummy homemade french bread and french crumb apple pie. He also enjoyed cinnamon rolls, a new packer t-shirt, a donald duck comic book, and then we watched a movie together (Syriana as referenced above. Extremely interesting story but very sad).
Yesterday was church day and Chloe only made it 10 minutes in the nursery. :( Unfortunately, this week's workers weren't as patient as last week's. This time Matt got her out and they had a ball walking around the church and getting coffee for me (our church has an awesome coffee shop in the building). To try to prevent her crying-for-mommy-attitude Matt's been taking her and dropping her off in the nursery room. That strategy didn't seem to do much good this week though! Any other ideas mommies?
11 comments:
I understand about the nursery. ALL my girls went through the crying spells when I dropped them off. We'd even spank, but Emma wanted at least to see us, so that didn't work either :) It's just a phase, and one that the workers are going to have to endure. It's their ministry and Chloe will outgrow it. Maybe tell them to wait at least 20 min. and increase it a couple min. each time?? Also, I talk to E and C during the week about the nursery and we "play" nursery...kinda weird, but kinda works :)
Thanks for the tips, dear Carissa. Playing nursery, eh? Sounds like a great idea! Chloe's still probably too young to get that yet but I'll store that idea away for a few months.
I'm not a mom, so you can throw this advice out if you want. :) I've read a little about separation anxiety, and this was suggested.
Maybe you could "practice" nursery at home by having her play in a safe area (pack & play or crib maybe) and leave the room, so she can't see you, but is entertaining herself. If you do it for a couple minutes a day, and maybe increase the time little by little, she might feel more secure at the nursery knowing you'll be coming back.
I don't really have any advice. Luke always calms down and I've had patient workers. I understand sometimes there's too many kids for workers to handle one with sep. anx though. It's probably just a phase that will pass. How does Chloe sit in church? :) Or is that a joke to ask? Some kids do surprisingly well, and sometimes it's just not worth it because it's so distracting and so much work for the parents.
I find myself getting upset when Luke goes through phases (waking up or crying a lot at bed/naptime). But, in the end, the phase passes and I'm learning just to be patient and love on my boy when he goes through those phases. They do pass!
Alicia - Just wanted to post a quick note - I've been keeping updated on your blogs and such - not sure if you remember me from way back when working at Northladn that one summer, but I wanted to say hi and tell you that it's been great keeping up with you. Chloe is ADORABLE!! And, I live right around the corner from you in Newport, KY! ANyway, talk to you soon!
Abby (Sokul) Turner
Pamela:
Carissa just suggested that! The thing is, she's usually just fine when we're at home and I'm in another room. It's like she senses that that I'm still around and she can go about her independent play. There's something different about the nursery though . . . it's as though she knows what's coming once we get near the door! I'm hoping this is a phase that God will continue to give us patience and wisdom through. :) Thanks for the suggestion!
KT: Actually, our church doesn't allow babies/toddlers to sit in the service. I know it's completely opposite from John Piper's philosophy but I guess our church feels that if you can't control your kid in the service, it will distract others so they made a rule across the board. It's kind of weird not to see kids in the worship service though. So far God hasn't allowed me to get upset, just a bit frustrated. And I always feel like a heel when I drop off a screaming Chloe. I hate having to leave her with unsympathetic workers . . . I feel bad! Hopefully this is a phase. I know what you mean, seems like if Chloe's going through a growth spurt I can hardly stand it until God relieves us at just the right moment!
Abby: Of course I remember you, fellow alto in the nbbc camp choir! I have seen your blog as well but was hesitant to comment because I thought you wouldn't remember me. :) Ironic, eh? Newport, KY is right around the corner? I'm totally clueless as to OH/KY geography!
What a fabulous dinner - jambalaya - how do you make that? Homemade french bread? I must say very impressive Alicia! In regards to Syriana, it was a shocking ending. I just kind of sat there in awe when it was done.
Yeah - right around the corner (kind of - almost the same state!) - I'm a few miles outside of Cincinnati. I've been here 3 1/2 years and I'm still figuring out the geography!!! Of course I remember you! Now that we have that cleared up, comment away :-)
wow, no advice from me...just a little sympathy. jason and i get "paged" to the nursery (yes the 2 of us go as a team) because preston gets ouf control...kicking the workers and throwing shoes at them...spitting at them and us...he gets pretty worked up. i would agree with carissa that a good spanking would be beneficial but our hands are tied as far as dicipline goes. ultimately God changes our children...we can pray.
Post a Comment