9.18.2006

A loss and a victory

The Packers let us down again this week with another loss, leaving them with an 0-2 record for the season start. Sigh. We have been blindly optimistic about our favorite team but it looks like it will be a dull, depressing season for the Pack. What team are you rooting for this season?

We also experienced a small victory in our battle with Chloe and our church's nursery. Chloe's been expelled from nursery for 3 weeks running, and yesterday she made it through an entire service! She'd always done fairly well in the nursery but for some reason moving into the 11-18 month room was difficult. Thank God for a patient worker yesterday! He stuck by Chloe and didn't let her cries bother him. He played by her side and though she wasn't the happiest camper, he was determined to help her make it through.

How do your kiddos handle the nursery? What ages/phases did they go through in their bouts of separation anxiety?

12 comments:

christina said...

so far so good! we haven't had a bit of trouble dropping connor off yet. usually he gives me a blank stare when the worker takes him, but then she'll set him down in front of a toy and he's lovin' life again. i only got called from the service once when he was just a few months old. he just hadn't taken a nap and he was SUPER cranky.

i'm just waiting for the time that he freaks out when i drop him off. lots of kids in his class do that b/c they're starting to realize when mom and dad are gone. for now, i'll take his reaction.

Katie said...

Luke never had a problem either until after we moved to MI. For a few months he screamed a terrifying scream when I brought him to the nursery - he would even start whimpering when we were walking towards the church! But, he would always stop crying in just a few minutes (so I'm told) and would be running around playing when I came to pick him up. The last couple weeks have been significantly better, and last Sunday, he eagerly started to take his shoes off so he could go in!

It does seem to be a phase that all kids go through at some point - even if they're not typically separation-anxious (funny phrase).

Heather said...

Logan hates the nursery for some reason!!! He will start to cry when we are still about a 1/2 mile away from church. It makes it so hard to drop him off like that. We have a small church and only 1 nursery so he is in there with a few babies. Lately I have been taking him with me during Sunday School because I teach the 3 & 4 year olds and he loves it. But he still screams when the next teacher comes in there....some say I should be spanking him because he is being disobedient...any suggestions???

S said...

I heard about the Packer loss last night and am too starting to lose hope. My back-up team (how loyal is that?) is the Falcons to cheer with Stephen.

Esther hasn't figured out the nursery thing yet either. She still loves lots of different people, but I have a feeling the day is coming. PTL for a patient nursery worker, because you really need someone who will team up with parents and help them stick it out. I'm sure it's just as hard on you as them!

Elaine said...

Gwyn has been pretty easy about going in and staying in the nursery. Bryan Paul has had bouts of anxiety- about 6 months old, 1 1/2 years, and then, just when we thought we were past that stage, these past couple of months!

Matt & Nicki said...

Both kids do great in the nursery but sara struggled with the transition into the ones at first. She screamed when i dropped her off but was okay after a while. Then in the two's I got paged for behavior issues about three times. So far no problems in the three's besides potty accidents:) She will grow out of it soon!

Unknown said...

Christina: Enjoy that phase while you still can! Maybe he'll find the whole separation anxiety thing overrated. It sounds like he interacts with all kinds of people so maybe he's adjusting to not-being-with-mom all the time. We're away from family out here in Ohio so Chloe pretty much just has us to hang out with.

KT: Yay! Glad to hear Luke adjusted so quickly to the new nursery! I've heard moves at that age can be rough on little ones. I never would have guessed that Chloe's temperment would be liabel to separation-anxiety. I'm sure it's just a phase and adjustment to the new nursery room.

Heather: Aw, that would pull my heart strings too! I'll let the more experienced moms handle your question . . . to me it would seem counter-productive to spank Logan when he's already upset about leaving you for the nursery.

Shannon: I know, I was extremely grateful for that tough guy in the nursery. It was so nice not to see Chloe's number called and to just sit in the service and focus on the sermon! I'm rooting for the NY Giants this year. I really like Tiki Barber and Eli Manning; I hope Eli can get himself out of his older brother's shadow this season!

Elaine: Eek! This separation anxiety comes back?!? How are you guys dealing with Bryan's latest bout?

Unknown said...

Nicki:

Seems like there are different issues for each age group, eh? When do we parents get to relax a bit? :) I have a feeling there's no relaxing in our discipline of our little ones if we want to partner with God in helping Him make them Christlike!

Jen said...

I was at that game! Woohoo! We were so hopeful! At least it kept us on the edge of our seats for most of the game - I'll post about it on my site in the coming days. Yeah @ nursery - one nursery worker in particular would always put her in "time out" in the toddler nursery. She only likes lady teachers, so with 4 service time options we tend to go to the one with the lady teachers :).

Unknown said...

Jen:

Even though the packers stink this season I'm still EXTREMELY jealous you got to be at the game live and in person! I'll be looking anxiously at your blog to hear the whole sordid story. :) I take it you guys are attending elmbrook?

Carrie said...

Sam wasn't a big fan of the nursery from about 11 mo. till he turned 2. He would kick and scream quite a bit when we dropped him off, but they said he always calmed down pretty fast. I think I got paged once to come deal with him. Now that he's in the 2 year old class, he LOVES it and rarely has a problem going in.

Julia is doing better in nursery each week; I still get paged to come in and nurse sometimes, but not at all this past week. :)

Hopefully Chloe will start to have more fun in there soon. :)

Elaine said...

Great. Now you've got me thinking this isn't normal! Anyway, he is at an age where we can remind him of the fact that we have left him before but always come back because he is ours and we love him.