8.08.2006

Transitions


Transitioooooons, transitions! (to be sung Fiddler of the Roof style)

With less than a week left before Chloe's momentous birthday, she's all ready transitioning to "big girl" status. Today she skipped her morning nap, which was largely due to a john deere backhoe digging across the street which she couldn't stop watching and talking to, and I'm forcing her to abandon bottles.

I've been giving Chloe a sippy cup since about 9 months so she's very familiar with the cup routine. But she doesn't seem to want to drink it when it contains formula. Today she's hardly drunk (or drank, my grammar expert isn't around to assist me) any liquids even though I've been following her around like a hound-dog with her cup. Tomorrow I can go to the grocery store and get some milk - maybe that will do the trick. Don't tell my doctor that I'm giving her cow's milk 6 days before her birthday! :) A gal pal of mine suggests putting a bit of Ovaltine in with the milk to help her transition. Any suggestions oh wise and experienced bloggers?

4 comments:

Genns said...

Ella never would take formula, or a bottle so she's been on milk out of a sippy cup for a while. Up here they say it's ok at 9 months as long as it's not just milk. (like still formula in the morning and at night) But she stopped nursing a month ago and went straight to milk. She seems alright. Chloe will probably drink milk out of a cup with no problem.
Can you believe our girls are almost a year. Do you have any birthday plans?

Unknown said...

Nope, I'm still in shock that this little toddler was once growing in my uterus. She's started actively taking steps now so she looks very much like a toddler and not much like a baby. :(

We have small birthday plans. Nothing big, just some homemade cake and decorations. My mom and gramma are coming and my neighbor and her kids. What about you?

Kelly, they are wacked out here about cow's milk! My mom used an evaporated milk formula with me and my doctor gawked at me for suggesting it as an alternative to the expensive formula. They even gave me a handout about why cow's milk is detrimental to babies. Whatever FDA.

Heather said...

My doctor would have flipped out if he knew that I started my kids on milk before they were even 10 months old. Formula was so expensive and they were both on solid foods all the way...so why not put the milk in there. They did fine on the transition and loved it all the way!!!

Tricia said...

I must admit I'm textbook on that one. Milk didn't come until well after their 1st birthday. However, I still nursed them so that was actually the cheapest option! =) Now, neither one of them drink milk anyway because of allergy issues.