8.23.2006

Eurorails Mania

Matt's folks are here visiting and one of our new traditions is to play a long game of EuroRails. It takes several evenings of play to finish it but it's well worth the time and effort. The basic premise of the game is to build railroad track throughout Europe and then to make money delivering goods to various European cities. We're learning geography as we play since the cities are all listed in their native language (Vienna = Wien, Munich = Munchen) and the country borders aren't marked. We're still in the midst of play, so I'll let you know who wins! The winner will be the first to connect 7 major cities and earn 150 million euros.

Have any of you heard of EuroRails? What unusual games do you play with your family?

5 comments:

ruth said...

The last time my whole family was together, we had a Rook tournament. It did not go so well for me and my partner (Bonnie) but we had a good time.

It's funny that you mention games because this weekend we were reminiscing about playing board games as children. I remember I hated playing Monopoly with my Dad and my brother so much that I secretly threw out all the play money. It took everyone a long time to figure out who done it. I'm ashamed to say I was a pretty passive aggressive child. :)

Unknown said...

Ruth: I feel the same way about Rook! I love playing it but I don't often do well. Something about that game makes me feel sneaky and powerful.

Blech, Monoply. What a blessing to have so many family memories of playing games, eh? Families these days don't often take the time to play a board game together.

Jen said...

We always play card games with Steve's family. Grandma is the card shark, don't let her fool ya, she is the sweet smiling one who ends up trumping us all! Games like hand and foot, rummy, 3-13, phase 10, etc.

Jocelyn Pagano said...

I have never heard of that game. My family likes to play Settlers of Catan or Carcassan. They take several hours each.

carissa said...

definitely settlers of catan is a fave! Also, I 've attempted poker...but I don't know how to play...Brent's grandparents are pros :)