8.24.2006

Poor Pluto!

















It's a sad day for solar system teachers. The ninth planet, Pluto, has just been demoted to the title "dwarf planet" and is no longer considered a true-bonafide planet by scientists. Today the International Astronomical Union made history by voting to create new guidelines for the definition of a planet and hence stripped Pluto of it's planetary status. Read all about it in today's article on the BBC website. So, now instead of 9 planets in our solar system we have 8. I can no longer use the mnemonic device to help students remember 9 planets (My Very Educated Mother Just Showed Us Nine Planets) since the 9th planet is not a planet now. :(

Poor Pluto! What a major rejection. Any thoughts of remorse over losing our very small icy distant planet?

5 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

What about "My Very Energetic Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas?"

Jen said...

That seems a little crazy doesn't it? Watch maybe Mickey Mouse will rename his dog. Just kidding.

Unknown said...

Kelly: I know?! We can't say my very energetic mother just served us nine?!?

Jen: Oh my. I think you need some more science in your life, girl. That sounds like a good reason for me to move back to Milwaukee, eh?

Shyla said...

i never knew the "my very energetic mom....." that sure would've helped in the 5th grade!!

ruth said...

Alicia and Kelly, I heard someone change it to "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nachos" although I'd rather have nine pizzas than nachos, but it looks like we have no choice.

Alicia, I echo your sentiments. Poor Pluto!