Chloe signed please today! Even though she continues to shock me with her awareness, this one really took me by surprise. In my noviceness as a mom, I started showing her the sign for please several months ago but got tired of it when she just stared at me blankly.
Tonight while Matt and I were eating supper and Chloe was cruising around us begging for crumbs (I do feed her, she had just eaten earlier than us tonight since Matt got home late) Matt pleaded, "Please?" to Chloe and did the sign. Chloe signed please like a pro!
Now it's our task to be consistent so we can keep this signing jazz up. The only other sign I know is thank you, so that will be next. Have you tried sign language with your children? If so, do you have any tips?
6 comments:
Chloe is on her way to being a Miss Manners! I have been trying to teach Esther also, but get the blank stares, so it's good to know that it's not all for nothing. :) I'll be anxious for the tips on teaching them. I have to say the reason we decided to teach her is that we prefer it to the screams and grunts for more food b/c she can't communicate!
Shannon: I sympathize! It's so nice now when Chloe grunts to rebuke her and make her say please. I need to remember her age though and not push her to do what she's not ready to. So, hang in there! She'll be communicating before you know it!
YES! Last summer I taught several signs to the boy I took care of. He knew please, more, thank you, drink, all done (the cutest!)... It's definitely better than grunts and screams! Good luck! It's so rewarding!
Karen: I take it you are pro-signing? :) I will have to look into drink and all done as those would be very helpful. Especially since I'm moving Chloe from a bottle to a cup and her drinking needs aren't so regular as they used to be.
Great job! See they know more than they let on - those rascals :)!
oh yes...We sign please, thank you, and more and all done...oh I think they'll interpret for the deaf someday ...although they only know 4 words :)Great job! I started that to eliminate all the "eeeehhhh!" and yelling when they wanted something. It works most of the time!!
Post a Comment