8.28.2006

Another injury to report

Poor little Chloe! Today she tripped going into the kitchen and fell smack dab on our iron-shelving-unit (our makeshift pantry). So, now she has a big bruise on her forehead and a matching bruise on the bottom of her right cheek.

Sigh. I have a feeling this is the beginning of many more tumbles, bumps, and bruises. Since she's still learning to walk, she totters and loses her balance often. And she's so heavy and tall (past the 97th percentile) that she fall easily. Usually she lands on her bum and there's no harm done.

Do I need to do more baby-proofing? Or just watch her more closely? Help me, you experienced mums!

12 comments:

Janelle said...

Hi Alicia! I'm not sure if you remember me. I think we were in Mary Slessor together though. Anyway, I love your blog and Chloe is just adorable! I have a 17 month old boy and it only gets worse. As much as you try to keep them from falling, it happens anyway. Thankfully God made the little bugars very resiliant and they bounce back fairly quickly. We've had some pretty hard falls too, but I guess once the walking is mastered a little more it won't be quite as bad. The only problem with that is that running comes SWIFTLY after the walking!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Janelle! I do remember you . . . go slessor squaws! :)

Thanks for the advice. I sure hope I can be a little more resilient as I watch Chloe suffer through falls and bumps. I cry just as much as she does when she's hurt!

Will you be creating a blog soon? I look forward to reading about your exciting life with a 17 month old.

ruth said...

Janelle!

I can't believe it! This is Ruth (Johnson) Valiante. Come visit my blog, and let's catch up!

Sorry, Alicia, I know these comments are supposed to be about baby boo-boos, but Janelle and I went to HS together and have completely lost contact--I'm shocked to see her name and pic.

I am currently not a mother, so I have no advice to give, but I AM sorry Chloe is having such a rough time of it!

Unknown said...

Ruth: No problemo. I forgive thee. I don't think Janelle has set up a blog yet so we'll have to wait for her comments. It's amazing how the blogging community connects people, eh?

Katie said...

Alicia:
I wouldn't worry about doing too much baby-proofing. They still will find a way to get scrapes and bruises. It really does diminish though. They get much better balance and all that. I used to feel like Luke was hurting himself ALL the time, but it's only occasional now! The ouchies are inevitable, but Luke really thinks my kisses make it all better. :) (good feeling for me)

Heather said...

I would have to say you are doing just fine! It is so hard to watch them fall, but it does get better! Victoria is my clumsy one (she take after me) and she is always showing me new bruises on her legs.

Hang in there...keep the kisses and hugs coming..they always seem to make them feel better!

Janelle said...

Yes, actually I do have a blog. I just started so it's pretty short at the moment, but I try to take lots of pictures of my little guy so hopefully I can keep up with posting them. I was scared to get into this blogging stuff because I thought it was only for those who really understand the computer, but it really isn't so bad so far anyway. I'm sure we'll be keeping in touch now. And Ruth, I'll visit your site soon!!! What a small world!!!

Janelle said...

I forgot to say that my blog is at janellemiller.blogspot.com

Matt & Nicki said...

It just happens--I cannot tell you how many gross looking bruises and bumps have been on my kids heads. My mom still threatens to remove my coffee table from my home b/c of the sharp corners. You are right there will be more bumps and bruises to come, but I have learned(through Sara falling off of metal bleachers onto concrete at 15 months and many other heart-wrenching falls) that the Lord has special protection for these little guys!:) Hang in there!
nicki tolosa

Unknown said...

KT: Thanks for the reassurance! I know Chloe's walking will get better I just wish it would happen quickly so she doesn't hurt herself. :( All a part of growing up I guess!

Heather: I will keep up those hugs and kisses! She especially likes to be rocked more when she injures herself. Last night was sooooooooo precious; I rocked Chloe and sang to her for a good 20 minutes. When she fell asleep on me I felt as though she were my little baby again!

Janelle: Great blog, welcome to the blogosphere! Your little guy is a doll! What a spitting image of his daddy, eh? I'll be sure to comment on your blog - would you mind if I added a link to your blog on my site?

Nicki: Your 15 mos. old fell from metal bleachers?!? YOWZA! Your heart must have dropped to your stomach. I agree, God seems to have built in extra padding on little ones. And this bruising stuff is just another area for me to trust the Lord in. HE is Chloe's ultimate protector and HE is the author and sustainer of her life!

Janelle said...

Yes, that's fine to add a link on your blog. This blogging is so much fun!!!
Yes, Aaron is definitely a spittin' image of his dad!!! They're baby pictures were nearly identicle - it was actually a little freaky.
Anyway, keep lovin' on that little angel of yours and all will be well!!!

carissa said...

oh you poor mama! I know how hard it is to see them get hurt. Yesterday, Andrew knocked Eden down with the swing. She had a huge bump on her head. Today, Chloe fell off something and her nose was bleeding...meanwhile Eden was digging in the kitchen getting a butterknife!! Oh, it just never ends...but, God is watching them and protecting them, so it's a great matter of TRUST! :)