8.26.2010

Keeping me humble

My kids certainly have a special knack for keeping me humble. Coming from the mouths of such small souls, the words are especially hard-hitting and dramatic.

Don't worry, I know better than to take my children too seriously.

But upon reflection, it's good to look back at their quips and quibbles and see God's lessons for me. And lately that lesson has been about humility. I'm so glad God, in His wisdom and humor, gave me these precious little grindstones to make me a better mommy.

Cases in point:

Case #1
(Setting: After Clive's nap he was sitting on the counter eating a snack while I prepared dinner.)
Clive: "Mama, what you cooking?"
Me: "I'm making zucchini muffins."
Clive: "Yum! Mama, you are a good baker!"
Me: "Thanks, Clive-y!"
Clive: "And you look like a jellyfish."

Case #2
(Setting: During the boys' nap time, Chloe was lazing around on the couch looking for something to do while I worked on the computer.)
Chloe: "Mama?"
Me: "Yes, Chloe?"
Chloe: "When I grow up I'm not going to be anything."
Me: "What do you mean, Chloe?"
Chloe: "I'm not going to have any job. If I'm a mom, I'll just be a mom and I won't work on the computer all the time."

Case #3
(Setting: Putting things on the table for dinner.)
Chloe: (walking into the kitchen) "Mmm, mommy what are we having for dinner?"
Me: "Healthy hot dogs, mangos and yogurt, and cheesy veggie noodles" (I was pretty proud of for whipping up a pasta primavera like dish using zucchini, green pepper and corn)
Chloe: "Mommy, you are the BEST cook! I'm going to give you a big hug!"
Me: "Thanks, sweetie. I hope you like it."
(Dinner transpires)
Chloe: "Mommy, this is the BEST meal I've ever had. (Thinks for a few seconds) Except when I have peanut butter and jelly. THAT'S the very best."

:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

See what I mean? :) I'm so thankful for these darling little ones. They keep me humble, make me laugh and help me see joy in every day life.

What funny things have your little people been saying?

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Ha! They do just say what's on their minds, don't they? I have a story about my niece. She used to have a strong dislike for any kind of shirts without sleeves. She called them 'armpit shirts'. She used to say to me, "MeeMee, why are you wearing that? You shouln't wear armpit shirts!"
It still makes me laugh!
Have a great weekend!