4.22.2009

Some silly questions

My frazzled brain has been going in several directions lately. (I have a feeling that's the new normal for my thinking patterns. My reading habits are following suit. I have 4 books going right now and I hop from one to another during my nightly reading time.) Blog post ideas often pop into my head but then they just as quickly pop out again. :)

Instead of the usual blog post, I feel like asking you some random life questions. Just an informal query on what you all do, think, and live to satisfy my strange and curious mind.

  1. Does everyone have a Wii but me? What's the big deal with those contraptions? I've never even seen one but I hear about them constantly.
  2. How in the world do you cook with tomatillos? I tried and failed disastrously this week.
  3. What food is your personal weakness? Mine is without a doubt cheese. I must eat it daily.
  4. Do you paint your toenails?
  5. HOW do you make time for mending?!? I have an immense mountain (not merely a pile) of small mending projects that are just not getting done.
All right, I've ignored my chattering son long enough so that's all the questions you get. I look forward to reading your answers, dear blogging friends!

13 comments:

Karen said...

My food vice is sugar. Sounds trite, I know, but I am addicted. I also love cheese, though. We do not have a Wii and will probably be the last in the country to get one. Never cooked with tomatillos, but now I'm afraid to! Not sure about the toenails painting one... I just bring my foot up so my chin rests on my knee, and paint! Or do you mean how do we find time? (Mine haven't been painted since last flip-flop season.)

I mend while watching TV/movies.

Jenny said...

No, we don't have a Wii either, but they are SO MUCH fun. We will probably get one in 20 years when it's not the latest and greatest (and when it's a lot less cashola!)

Tomatillos - I sometimes use tomatillo salsa as a sauce, but never have used the fresh ones.

SUGAR and it's worse than ever as I'm on day 6 of kicking the habit.

I do paint my toenails, and now they are red. Nice dark red. I will confess to painting over the chips rather than re-doing them properly. Then when I go to re-do them properly, I have 79 layers to remove.

Mending. I do it in the evenings, or when we watch a movie. And I save up a huge pile, too. It also helps to leave the sewing machine out. I find more inspiration but my table is quite crowded.

Fun post!

christina said...

some of my family has wii. i've only played it once, but i thought it was fun. it's one of few game systems i wouldn't mind saving up for in a few years.
tomatillos???? i'll have to google it to even know what you mean. :)
i, too, love cheese. my weakness is definitely salty snacks though.
i paint my toes in spring/summer/fall. i give them the winter off.
i send my mending to my mother. :) unless it's a button or a hem that i can quickly and temporarily fix with hemming tape.

Kelly Glupker said...

My answers are almost EXACTLY like Christina's. Weird.
1. I don't have a Wii and would personally never get one. They are fun enough but I think it would be a time killer - and the internet kills enough time for me already.
2. I don't know what tomatillos are.
3. I like salty snacks, popcorn, chips, etc
4. My toenails are always painted in the spring and summer. I will not wear open toed shoes without polish.
5. Maybe something is wrong with me but I don't have things to mend.

suzanne said...

We have a wii and it is great family fun! We don't play it often, but when we do we always laugh and have a great time!

My food vice is Chocolate. If it's in the house, I must eat it. I've passed this on to my son, as well. He keeps wondering where his easter candy is going - I sheepishly have to admit that I am the one eating it all!

I NEVER make time to do my mending. I don't have that much, but Ryan is probably very unhappy with me right now. I have two pair of his pants that I've been putting off for MONTHS! It's my most hated chore.

Oh, and I've never cooked with tamatillos. Don't even know what they are!

I do not usually paint my toe nails. Maybe once or twice a summer. It's one of those things I never make time for - it seems like a waste of 10 minutes.

Carrie said...

we ahve a wii, the boys love it, me too - well Mario karts anyway. never heard of tomatillos. I hardly ever paint my toe or finger nails and I don't really mend but twice a yeear, or need to for that matter. I try not to keep tempting foods around and I don't just have one..i really like carmels/chocolatesimes chips, no certain thing though. (oh I guess maybe drinks would count, I drink sweet tea just anbout every day)

Mary Ann said...

Great questions, Alicia! I don't have a Wii, but Mike & I were wondering if it would be tacky to register for one? Cause they are SO FUN!!! I've never cooked with tomatillos, but then again I have really truly cooked in over a year (so sad!). I do paint my toenails for sandal weather but it's not super high priority. My pedicure definitely would not endure a critical eye (running can make it hard to keep your feet pretty). Never paint my fingernails cause Mike doesn't like it. As far as mending goes, I've got a pile, too. Mike teases me cause I'm a home ec major that never takes time to sew, cook, decorate, etc. Mrs. Janke would be horrified ;-) Have a great weekend!

Mary Ann said...

I totally forgot the food question! I have so many food vices...anything I really like, I want too much of - coffee, sugary stuff, peanut butter...moderation is definitely something I meditate on :-)

Shelli D. Hawkins said...

1. No Wii. No time to even watch TV.
2. Tomatillos - Never personally cooked them but seen many cooking shows when they are bioled peeled and blended into a sauce.
3. Food weakness - Has to be sugar in drinks - coffee tea etc. About 6 months ago I switched to spenda. The transition is slow but good.
4. Mending? I have the occasional button that falls off. Since it's just me I don't have the PILE that you describe!

Have a great day Alicia!

ruth said...

Yeah, we have a Wii, because John is a nut about new toys, and he really wanted it. I sortof don't get what all the fuss is about, but I will admit that I love Mario Kart on the Wii.

Uh, I don't know what a tomatillo is...

Pepsi is my weakness, but I'm working really hard to abstain.

I do paint my toenails, but I'd rather get a professional pedicure. THAT is heaven to me.

I don't really do a lot of mending... other than sewing on buttons, since I can't sew. I donn't really have a need to do mending often, but when I do, I have a friend that I ask. :)

Rachel said...

1. We do not have a Wii and I have never played one. It looks fun though!

2. I've never tried to cook with tomatillos but I have an interesting tomatilla salsa recipe that I may try one of these days.

3. My personal food weakness would have to be plain potato chips.

4. I paint my toenails in the summer. I don't like the look of unpainted toenails while wearing sandals or open toed shoes.

5. I do not have much mending. I'm not sure why that is.

Fun questions to answer!

Karis said...

1. Don't have a Wii, but my sister and brother-in-law have one and they are lots of fun. Dan tried to talk me into buying one "because there is a program for the Wii that teaches French." Ummm... :-)
2. I have never heard of tomatillos either.
3. I love salty and cheese. Right now, I'm craving mozzarella sticks and chips and dip. I also love sweet tea which I have access to here! Yeah.
4. Yes, I paint my toenails because it's sandal weather year round here and I don't like to look at my feet in sandals without my toenails painted. I am with Jenny, though, in that I constantly touch them up instead of re-doing them right.
5. I don't have a sewing machine or know how to sew, but we hardly ever have any mending. I can sew on a button, though. :-) Since we buy all our clothes secondhand with the goal being $3 or less, if there is a need for something to be mended, I usually just turn it into a rag unless it's something that I really like.

Fun post.

Matt & Nicki said...

We don't have a wii, but I would love to have wii fit, I hear great things about it--I know nothing about cooking tomatillos, I DO paint my toenails, but only in the summer, when I am wearing flip-flops, I don't mend, b/c I don't sew, but when i have to fix a button I do it while I watch t.v.--what were the other questions?:) Oh, yeah, food--pretty much anything that is NOT good for me, but I do LOVE pizza and icecream:)