4.06.2009

What is it about white shoes on Easter Sunday?

I have been horribly delinquent in my blogging of late. And I feel like I always begin my posts by apologizing for that delinquency . . . SO I make a pledge to you (and myself) that I will post every day this week. Yup, you heard right. One post each day for the next seven days. I hope I can live up to my own challenge!

As Easter Sunday rapidly approaches, I've found myself getting nervous about Chloe's shoes. Her dress and Clive's outfit have been planned for awhile now but the shoes were the one missing facet. What is it about Easter Sunday that says little girls MUST wear white shoes? As I picture Chloe in her lavender Easter dress I can't imagine her wearing any shoes other than white. Black or brown does not compute.

Breezing through the Target shoe aisles I was unimpressed with their selection and value in white shoes. The cheapest shoes I found were $9 and had a 1/2 inch heel. C'mon! My dear Chloe is already so tall and oft-times awkward she certainly doesn't need a heel to induce more tripping (wait until you see the injuries she acquired when she tripped during a recent park outing).

This deep-seated cheapskate gene in me will not allow me to spend $9 on shoes. I can't do it. The old wisdom rings true in Chloe's case; why buy expensive shoes when you know she'll outgrow them in a few mere months?

Tonight I decided to make one last attempt at finding the elusive white shoes. I swung by my local thrift store and lo and behold -- $4 white shoes!!! And they're only a 1/2 size bigger than what Chloe wears now so I know they'll last us through the summer. YAY!

I'm definitely not as gung-ho about white for boys (Clive will sport his brown loafers on Sunday). What's your take on the whole white shoe thing?

6 comments:

Janelle said...

I've got white shoes for my little Megan too! Black or brown shoes don't really scream SPRING like white shoes do! Plus, all the Easter dresses are lighter colors and only white ones match anyways! I think tradition is somewhat to blame! Hope you have a great Resurrection Day Sunday!

Rachel said...

LOVE Chloe's new shoes;). Marcus will be wearing white shoes this Easter but I'm not sure what Michael will be wearing. If I find some white saddle shoes at a good price, I may pick some up. Otherwise, it will be his brown ones;).

Jenny said...

I have to say that I have a bit of a rebellious streak when it comes to Easter outfits. As in, I don't do them. :-) Maybe if I had a little girl it would be different, but until then...brown shoes for everyone! LOL

suzanne said...

Oh no, you made me nervous. I didn't even think about shoes! I've been thinking about which dress Charlotte should wear, I haven't even considered shoes yet! I think I can get away with no shoes, though. She's only 2 months. I with ya, though on spending money on shoes. I don't think I've ever paid more than $5 for shoes for Gavin!

looking forward to your seven days of blogging!

Karen said...

I say PISH POSH! :)
Actually, I say it depends on the dress. Someone gave Livvie a darling dress that I've saved for Easter Sunday, but it's not pastel. It's black, white, & red. She'll be wearing white tights and black shoes (gasp!).
:)
Looking forward to reading you more frequently!

ruth said...

I don't HAVE to wear white shoes for Easter, but that is my marking point for when I'm allowed to. This year, I actually plan to splurge a bit and buy a red pair of shoes. I've always wanted red dress shoes, and provided I can find the right pair by Sunday, that's what I'll be sporting this year! :) My outfit will be navy and white with red accessories. I'm grinning just thinking about it.