4.13.2009

New car for Chloe?

Chloe has been progressively waking up earlier as the sun shows it's cheery face earlier in these spring mornings.

Since both Matt and I like to get up before the kids (he's way more consistent about that than I am - I blame that on my thyroiditis but it could just as easily be my laziness) we NEED Chloe to stay put until at least 7:30 to make the most of the morning time.

Matt came up with the brilliant idea of getting Chloe her own alarm clock. He set the alarm for 7:30 and until she hears that alarm bell she is not allowed to get out of bed.

I was skeptical at first but we are talking about Chloe here and not your average preschooler. Chloe is the girl who didn't realize she COULD get out of bed without permission until she was 3 years old. (Don't worry, I'm positive Clive will make up for his sister in that area.)

This morning the alarm-clock-method worked perfectly! Just like clockwork (sorry, couldn't resist the pun) I heard Chloe wake up near 7 and then she talked and sang until the alarm rang. Then she hopped out of bed and came downstairs.

As Matt left for school yesterday he told Chloe that he was going to buy her a special mystery gift.

Chloe: "What gift will you buy me, Daddy?"
Matt: "It's a surprise! Here's a hint. It goes 'beep, beep, beep!'"
Chloe: (after thinking a while) "A new car for me, Daddy?"

I don't think so. :)

How do you regulate your kids' waking times?

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I think this is a great idea but I'm afraid it wouldn't work with 3 in the same bedroom.
In reply to the NZ post - we took all the pictures you see so yes we saw bubbing mud but didn't go in any of them or the spas. The sled thing is called the luge and you ride on a sled with wheels on a twisty cement track all the way down the mountain. The sled did have speed control and steering...which was very helpful!

Janelle said...

I think that is a great idea too. I may have to use that idea some day!

suzanne said...

Gavin still wont get out of bed without permission. It's something we never told him, but he's always done. If I am feeding Charlotte in the morning and can't get up to get him, I have to coax him out on his own! He's such a hoot! He has been waking up early, too. We recently bought him a digital clock and told him he can't get up until he sees it's 7:00.