8.09.2008

Waiting for my thyroid to die

Thursday I found out that I suffer from something called Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It sounds dreadful, doesn't it? It's an autoimmune disease. My body is attacking and killing my thyroid gland. Yikes!

According to my doc though, this is a common disorder. Once my thyroid burns out I'll have to take a synthetic thyroid replacement for the rest of my life.

The last few days my energy level has been incredibly up and down. I'm guessing the utter fatigue and contrasting adrenaline rushes are normal as my thyroid dies out.

Do any of you struggle with thyroid problems? I'm just beginning to research this so I'm open to any information and advice you can give me!

5 comments:

Abby said...

I have Hypothyroidism and am on Synthroid. I was diagnosed back in April. It started with the fatigue, and I just thought it was because of Eli! Well, apparently not! I did notice a big change after being put on the Synthroid (I take 100mcg every day). I don't really have any side effects. I also don't have much advice on how to cope! Once I was on the medication, things started to pick up!

Kelly Glupker said...

Yes, I too have thyroid trouble and will be taking Synthroid for the rest of my life. Good news - there is a generic form of it that you can get at Kroger or Walmart for $4!

Joe & Sarah McDaniel said...

Hey Alicia - just wondering, since all of us moms are tired ;o) how did you find out that it was something more than just usual fatigue? Just curious - w/ having had gestational diabetes twice, they always check my thyroid. I haven't been back in almost two years.

Joe & Sarah McDaniel said...

don't know who "amp" is or why that got inserted into my user name ;o)

Mary Ann said...

Alicia, lots & lots of people have some sort of thyroid issue. Thyroid replacement meds are some of the fastest movers in our pharmacy. It can be a little uncomfortable at the beginning when the doctor tries to determine how much replacement hormone you need. With underactive thyroid you can be tired, experience hair loss, be unusually cold & suffer constipation. They thought I was having problems with mine a couple of years ago but it turns out it was just stress ;-) Once they put you on a replacement drug generally you wouldn't want to switch brands b/c your body can metabolize them differently. So if you take Synthroid (name brand) & it works you wouldn't want to switch to Levothyroxine (generic) without talking to your doctor or pharmacist first. If they want to do a radioactive iodine study that's the kind of meds that we dispense at my nuclear pharmacy job. I hope you're not too uncomfortable through this process!