8.12.2008

Anyone else tired of seeing Hannah Montana?

I've been out shopping quite a bit lately as we prepare for Chloe's big third birthday party. In every store I am haunted by Hannah Montana's toothy smile.

Why is Hannah Montana plastered on EVERYTHING?!?! Purses, folders, shirts, pencils, binders, curtains, little girls' undies, board games, party plates, bean bag chairs, stickers . . .

Is there no end to the shameless marketing? It's as if girls have no choice but to like Hannah Montana. As Chloe grows I will try my hardest to steer her to role models that aren't being shoved down her throat by packaging and hype. (As my mom reads this I can hear her laughing as she recalls my days of mindless infatuation of such greats as New Kids on the Block and McHammer).

Who did you absolutely adore when you were a teen or tween?

5 comments:

Sara said...

Yes! Tired of seeing her, but I guess it could be worse. Kids on the block...THAT is funny.
Enjoyed catching up with you! Cannot believe Chloe and LG are THREE!! That's crazy!
Grace had a luau. Sounds like Chloe's party will be fun! Wish I could be there!!

Jenny said...

ooh, yes, I am sick of H.M. too! But then again, I'm not crazy about any mainstream character plastered all over my child. LOL. Whoever it was that figured out how to promote stuff by making T-shirts was genius as far as marketing goes. Shouldn't companies pay us to wear that junk??

When I was a tween, it was always the latest Disney movie...oh, brother. We didn't even have a TV.

Amanda T said...

Hannah Montana is plastered on everything. I'm sure that when I start doing b-day parties for Brooke they will have come up with someone else to plaster all over everything. Oh the joys of marketing.
When I was a kid...boy, I can't even recall what I liked back then. Of course, we lived up in the back woods of NBBC too. :)So, I don't think I was up on the new things anyway.

Kelly Glupker said...

I was a NKOTB fan too. You know, I tire of seeing Hannah Montana too. But I really feel bad for her siblings. They must feel like losers. The Cyrus family seems to revolve around their one daughter. It's sad, really. She's missing out on her childhood in many ways.

Joe & Sarah McDaniel said...

my mom steered me away from all that . . . and YES!! I'm tired of Hannah Montana!! I particularly hate seeing a cute piece of clothing for my girls only to turn it around and see, yup, guess who . . . oh.