2.25.2008

HE DID IT!

My baby boy finally slept through the night last night!!!!!!!! Halle-lu-jah, halle-lu-jah!

I was at my wit's end last night because though he was exhausted, he'd not slept well all day. And he was crabby because of his lack of sleep. What is with babies? I mean, when I'm tired I just go to sleep. Easy as that. No crying or whining about it. Just close your eyes and sleep.

After his last feeding he finally konked out at 11:30 p.m. And he slept right through until 4:45 a.m. Ahhhhhh. Five consecutive glorious hours of sleep for mommy.

Let's hope last night wasn't a fluke. I'm trying really hard to get this boy on a schedule. Seems much harder this time around. Anyone else find that with a second child?

So, officially I'll put down 8 weeks for the sleeping through the night milestone in the baby book. When did your kiddos sleep through the night?

18 comments:

Janelle said...

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, I remember that first "full" night's sleep and how glorious and refreshing it was!!! Yes, let's PRAY it wasn't a fluke thing! Nevertheless, Lord willing, it won't be much longer anyway and he'll sleep even longer than 5 hours! I remember thinking that my child was never going to figure out that you sleep during the night and are up during the day. I would try to do everything in my power to keep him awake during the day and just deal with the crankiness in hopes that he would sleep through the night. I'm praying my little Megan will do better, because if I remember right, Aaron started sleeping through the night at 2 1/2 months. Guess we'll see. I'll probably be "crying on your shoulder" here soon enough! =)

Kelly Glupker said...

I love sleep! Way to go, Clive! Owen slept from 10-3 fairly early, but I don't remember how early. Even though the books say 5 hours is "sleeping through the night" Ben refused to let me tell people he slept thru until he slept a solid 8 hours. When I would tell people he slept thru the night, Ben would say I was being misleading. SO . . . we wrote in the baby book that Owen started sleeping through the night when he started sleeping a minimum of 8 consecutive hours which was around 10 or 11 weeks.

Rachel said...

Michael was 8 weeks old when he slept through the night BUT he had a relapse of sorts.

He would wake up crying and my husband would insist that he was hungry. So, I would go in and nurse him because my poor boy was starving - yeah right. I talked to my pediatrician and he told me that it was not necessary to nurse him in the middle of the night anymore unless I wanted to. We had a few rough nights but Michael finally slept through the night once again. What did I know? I was a new mom and I was too tired to fight with my son and my husband at 2 am! I'm armed and ready for our next one, hopefully:).

I'm glad that Clive slept through the night for you. What an awesome milestone:).

Abby said...

Well, you won't like what I say :-) Elijah started sleeping through the night (7+ hours) at about 4 weeks. He finally started doing this when I put him on his belly to sleep. He absolutely HATES being on his back, and once I figured that out, it was clear sailing for us! Of course, he'd have his times when he would wake and fuss, but for the most part, he's been sleeping through the night since then. He also LOVES to sleep at night (most nights of course), and he will sleep usually 9-10 hours now, if not more! I enjoy the sleeping in while I can! YAY for Clive sleeping 5 hours solid - that's a huge accomplishment!

Troy & Sherry said...

cool -
glad you got some much needed sleep....the babies room is painted a color called dusty trail and nice simple color - we have talked about painting it but it has 12 ft ceilings (at least) and the walls are concrete and textured so i am thinking with all the colors of the furniture/bedding and accessories we may not paint it at all...we will see!

christina said...

yahoo! those nice long stretches are great. but i have to say, i don't buy it when they tell me that a baby sleeping through the night means from 10p-4a. sorry, but that's not MY night...just his. :~) connor didn't sleep through MY night until about 3 months. i couldn't tell you when he slept through HIS night. i was still a zombie at that point. hee hee. :~) as far as i can remember though, he was up every 2-3 hours consistently until that point. then it was like something just snapped.

Karen said...

O mercy, you people! Our "through the night" sleeps didn't become regular until around 4 or 5 months.

This time around, I intend to do MANY things differently!

Katie said...

I'm finding some things much easier with the 2nd one, and other things worse - like a schedule/routine. Simon has slept through the night several times - one time even for a whole week - but nothing has been consistent. Of course, we had a cold for a week and a half and then his shots last Monday. Luke was a screamer and pretty difficult sometimes, but I adopted a get-tough policy :) and he adapted to it SO well. I think I've been a lot more relaxed and lax with Simon - which was good at the beginning. But, I have to say, Simon is still inconsistent with lots of things, which is starting to get frustrating. He's 12 weeks old today, which I know is still young.

I'm finding myself really suffering from "plans' and theories about what to do with babies. I constantly am worried about what negative he might form if I do this or that. I'm trying to get him to go to sleep without sleep props - and he was doing pretty well until the cold. Now, I don't know what to do with the little feller. He's slept through the night the last 2 nights, but Luke gets up a few times. Don't even get me started on that! :)

Yay for Clive. May this be the beginning of many good nights of sleep!

Katie said...

I meant to say "negative habit" - but accidentally left out "habit." :)

Kara said...

My second child, Adam , slept through the night at 12 weeks. THe first 3 months he screamed his little head off from midnight to about 3am. It was awful. I'm glad you are getting some sleep, that is wonderful!

Kelli said...

Yeah! So glad you both were able to get a full night of sleep. I am sure that was much needed. Hopefully he continues this new habit.

Carrie said...

Caleb scared me by sleeping through the night our first night from the hospital - 5 1/2 hrs. But he was so good by 2 mo it was from 11-6. Titus took a little longer probably almost 4 mo till it was consistent.
I know you are so glad for the extra hours- it makes such a difference!

Jenny said...

Aaron slept through the night around 6 weeks, but then had a major relapse at 4 1/2 months. He WAS hungry, and wasn't ready for solids yet. Plus he had a weight gain problem, so I got used to the middle of the night feeding until we really got solids going which was around 8 1/2 months. He has always been a great sleeper, going right to sleep after those middle of the night feedings. And I was really glad to have the extra rest during the first months of c-section recovery.

I am so happy for you that Clive is sleeping. We will pray that it will continue this way for you guys. Sleep is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

Matt & Nicki said...

YAY!! That is one reason I am perfectly content to deal with the pain of this little boy being in my ribs. .. I am not ready for waking at all hours of the night! I hope Clive keeps sleeping for you:) Oh, and the Patch the Pirate post on my blog, IS a C.D. not a dvd. . .but we load them on the computer which is why it looks like there is a screen in front of Sara. . her and Silas love them:)

Karis said...

Yeah for a stretch of sleep. I know Kayla started sleeping from 10 until 6 at nine weeks like a champ, but Krista still isn't doing that. I attribute it to our crazy schedule, but it could just be her.

Carrie said...

yes - just construction paper for the umbrellas

Adele said...

Good job, Clive! Keep it up for Mommy - she needs her sleep.

I'll be facing interrupted nights (again) soon enough, so I understand how exciting it is when a mom can get any stretch of sleep.

Gavin was sleeping through the night by 8 wks. Peyton took around 3 months to sleep through. I used the same baby scheduling techniques with both of them so sometimes I think it just depends on the baby. We'll see what happens this time!

the johnson crew said...

amos was about 8 weeks. i told my dr. and she said that at 8 weeks babies develop some type of hormone/chemical (i don't remember what she called it) that allows them to sleep that long without eating. - now amos goes in spurts where he sleeps long nights and sometimes he gets up once or twice... i just try not to let it get my feathers ruffled. (i think my "style" of mothering is called "laid back.")