12.02.2009

Preparing for Christmas

Sheesh, feels like my mind is in constant Christmas-preparation mode these days. Planning projects/gifts, thinking about holiday menus, dreaming of eating Christmas cookies (and I should get more than everyone else this year since I'm great with child).

But the real point of Christmas of course is to celebrate the birth of Jesus. Such an incomprehensible manifestation of God's love to us!

As we teach the kiddos the story of Jesus' birth I hope to also transfer excitement and anticipation to them as we countdown to Christmas. Obviously there will be some built-in excitement as they see the gifts multiply under the tree . . . but I want to convey excitement about Jesus in the mix of all the holiday traditions.

We're doing a paper chain to count down the days 'til Jesus' birthday and also an advent calendar. Also reading a few verses or singing Christmas carols after supper each night. I had hoped to make a set of nativity dolls for the kids to play with but alas, I'm way behind on that project.

Any other ideas for making Jesus' birth real to little ones this Christmas?

3 comments:

Carrie said...

birthday cake for Jesus. Talk about giving..God gave His Son, then have them focus on givng..family and missionaries...others.

Mary Ann said...

I have no ideas for you, but I agree with you that it is so important to make Jesus the focus of this holiday season & not get swept up into all the other things. For myself, I find that Christmas music is an excellent way to focus my mind on the wonder of Jesus's birth. Each Christmas I get more & more amazed by His willingness to come to earth as a little baby.
And I'm with you - you should get more Christmas cookies 'cause you're the momma plus one! :-)

Karis said...

I was going to say birthday cake too -- maybe even in the shape of a star.

And enjoy those Christmas cookies! We made some cookies today too, and I am having a hard time staying away from them. They're calling me. :-)