9.14.2009

Chloe's idea of contentment

Last week Chloe and I did the book "When I was Young in the Mountains" for her five in a row curriculum. Excellent book. I highly recommend it. Lovely illustrations and great story-telling techniques create an easy platform for introducing new concepts to the preschooler's mind.

The narrator of the story is a little girl growing up in the mountains of West Virginia. She's completely content with her life and surroundings though she doesn't have ANY modern conveniences. (Chloe simply could not comprehend that the little girl in the story didn't get to watch any movies. That was way more devastating to her than the lack of indoor plumbing.)

So, as one of our lessons I defined the word content and we talked about how we should be happy for what we have. We read a Bible verse exhorting contentment and promoting generosity. Then Chloe parroted the definition back to me and drew several pictures of things she's happy she has. Her drawings included (in case you can't decipher them from the photo above) bubble gum, papa teddy, crayons, our house, and her bike.

She was getting it! Or so I thought. :) Just as my teacher-mama pride started to swell I asked Chloe to tell me what it means to be content. Here was her reply . . .

"Content is be happy with what I have but what I really need to be happy is a yo-yo."

Back to the drawing board! :)

6 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

:)

Karis said...

So cute!

Mary Ann said...

Hilarious! At least she didn't say she needed a Disney World vacation or a princess castle to be happy :-)

ruth said...

Bwah-ha-ha! Too funny! But isn't that we ALL would blurt out if we were being completely honest? Mabye it's just me, but I can completely identify with that sentiment. Out of the mouths of babes...

Rachel said...

VERY funny;).

Carrie said...

priceless!