9.12.2009

Remembering and not remembering 9.11

Truthfully, I completely forgot that yesterday was 9.11. I was so wrapped up in hanging with the kids and getting through the day that it didn't dawn on me until the evening. The announcer of the highschool football game across the street asked for a moment of silence from the crowd. And then my memories of that eerie day came flooding back.

I got a bit teary-eyed as the marching band belted out the star-spangled banner. The lines, "that our flag was still there" and "oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave" were especially meaningful to me as I reflected on the atrocities of 9.11.

And then today at a local airplane heritage fair just the sight of an army helicopter made me well up again as I pictured our fellow country-men battling overseas in response to the terror of 9.11.

Despite its warranted criticisms, I am very thankful I live in the USA. There's no place like it!

Enjoy one of my favorite versions of the national anthem via the video below.
(What can I say -- I love the tight harmonies of the Dixie Chicks!)

No comments: