Using cloth shopping bags is one of my favorite earth-friendly practices (definitely rates higher than cleaning out poopy cloth diapers). It's incredibly easy to keep our cloth bags in the trunk of the car and to pull them out for grocery trips. I'm not so good about always remembering to bring cloth bags into retail stores though. Still working on that.
If you're out and about tomorrow, be sure to stop in at your local Wal-Mart. In celebration of Earth Day, Wal-Mart is giving away 1 million free reusable shopping bags!
Or if you're the crafty sewing type, check out this tutorial for making a cloth bag that rolls up and then snaps handily. I love that idea! A compact rolled-up bag would be super duper easy to throw into your purse or diaper bag.
I won't even begin to address the plastic bag environmental issues (especially since a baby is crying for my attention at the moment) . Read more here and here.
5 comments:
Yeah for you! I just made a cloth shopping bag for myself! I used an old table runner that I don't like anymore. I plan to make some more in the coming weeks. I have also started to recycle more than ever! I was considering posting something on going green! I have quite a few tips and tricks to share! Thanks for getting the ball rolling!
Wish I would've known about the Walmart giveaway last week - I just bought three of their reusable bags on Monday! Oh well, I may stop in anyway, as 3 probably will not suffice for a weeks worth of groceries, etc. for our family. Thanks for the info., Alicia!
I just had a major "OH DUH" moment when you mentioned your mom keeps her bags in the car.
OH DUH because I have been keeping mine in the mudroom next to the back door and SO often I forget them and either try to juggle my items without bags (a bad idea) or have to use the bags provided by the store. (I do get paper, but it's such a shame when I have so many at home)
So thanks!
I am right there with you on the reusable bags. Sometimes it's hard to remember them, but it's worth the effort. I'd love to get a little shopping cart like the one my friend in Vienna has. Very convenient. Also, when I work at the retail pharmacy & I'm checking out purchases for a customer I'll ask them if they want a bag but do it with a look that says, "Surely you don't need a bag for that..." Sometimes it works! ;-)
thanks for the comment!
I was actually going to post something about composting, but I wanted to put stuff up that I thought people would actually do. About the bath water - I just read something interesting - put a bucket in your shower and fill it up with the cold water while you are waiting for it to get warm and use it to water your plants. But the bathwater would work just the same!
Oh, and I think that I am pretty much sold on the disposable diapers b/c of you. However, I may just be thinking that b/c Gavin is out of diapers. But I do think I will give it a try next time around.
Post a Comment