a.k.a. Why I'll never do a VBAC again
Forgive me for taking so long to post the sordid details of Clive's birth. I knew it would take me a long time to write and lately my free time has been spent calling friends and family, sleeping, or carving out some alone time with Chloe.
So, things started happening late Saturday night (I had my membranes stripped Friday afternoon so I was mentally prepared for some prompt action) and my contractions quickly progressed from slight discomfort to pain every 5-6 minutes. I phoned my midwife and my pal Lindy (she came over to stay with Chloe) and we were on our way to the hospital by 1:30 a.m.
At the hospital I was checked at found to be between 3-4 cm dilated. Wow, I didn't imagine the contractions would be that bad at just 3-4 centimeters! Since I had been induced with Chloe, this whole natural labor thing was brand new to me. I was nervous and a bit scared about what the process would entail. Matt and I walked the hall for an hour while I battled and blew through the contractions. Isn't it incredible how one minute you can be in horrid blinding pain and then the next minute as the contraction winds down you can talk rationally?
After an hour of walking the hospital corridors and being checked to be 4-5 cm, I decided it was epidural time. I'm certainly not a he-woman when it comes to pain and if Clive's labor was to be anything like Chloe's (which it was) then I knew I was in for a long haul with contractions. The epidural was administered and I practically kissed the anesthesiologist for relieving my pain so miraculously. Ah. Whoever invented epidurals should be awarded with a medal of honor.
Alas, I had hoped to nap through contractions a bit but it was not to be. Shortly after the epidural kicked in, I started shaking uncontrollably. Turns out I had a fever from an infection in my uterus. They gave me antibiotics through my iv to fix that. Then the epidural started wearing off. Crazy, eh? It had only been an hour or so and then I started feeling increasing pressure and pain. They redosed me twice but the effects kept wearing off. It seems that Clive was giving me some VERY STRONG contractions. My midwife kept looking at the monitors and saying cheerfully, "You sure are getting some good contractions, girl!" One anesthesiologist even thought I was on pitocin since because the contractions were so monstrous. Little Clive was trying hard to get out!
I progressed slowly over the next hours and eventually ended up at 6 cm. By this time I had been given a second epidural because the first had completely stopped working. The second anesthesiologist had a difficult time administering the epidural (he says I have slight scoliosis) and it took 20 minutes before the soothing drugs numbed me again. At this point I was thanking God for my wonderfully patient and caring midwife! Don't get me wrong, Matt was a great support too, but my midwife had some magically relaxing way of helping me breathe through the contractions. I'm so thankful she was at my bedside with Matt during the whole ordeal!
By now it had been about 10 hours and I still wasn't getting past 6 cm. I was utterly spent and didn't think I'd even have the energy to push when/if the time came. Matt and I discussed it and we decided if I hadn't significantly progressed in the next hour we'd ask for a c-section. My midwife came in and advised us in exactly the same way. She checked and I had gone DOWN to 5 cm! My cervix was incredibly swollen from the infection and Clive's heart rate was going down slightly with each contraction.
Everyone hustled and bustled and nurses and doctors came out of the woodwork to whisk me away to the operating room. I've been through a c-section before so I knew what to expect. I was still nervous though since my body had been taxed so thoroughly with Clive's labor process.
The c-section took much longer than my operation with Chloe; more than an hour in total. I was nauseous/heaving and shaking again with chills. I squeezed Matt's hand and we chatted with the anesthesiologist (the ones we've had are always really kind and laidback) to take our mind off the surgery. But when it was all over, we had a beautiful healthy baby boy! He came out squealing like a small dinosaur (fluid in his lungs) and the doctor peeked over the sheet to announce to me, "You've got a big boy here!" When he said that I thought for sure we had another off-the-charts 10 pounder. When he announced Clive to be a mere 8 lbs. 4 oz., Matt and I chuckled that the doctor considered that a big boy. :)
The rest of the story is fairly uneventful except that Clive was slightly affected by my infection. His temperature began falling the first night and he had to be put in an incubator for a day and a half. He turned out to be fine but it was scary at first since we didn't know how bad his infection was.
We came home on Wednesday and Matt's been taking tremendously good care of me ever since. He's taken over all Chloe-responsibilities, laundry, and most meals. Now that I'm 10 days post-partum I'm feeling much stronger and my incision is hardly bothering me anymore. Gotta love strong pain medication! I'm easing back into more Chloe time and doing meals again. I get about 6 hours of intermittent sleep at night and usually one nap a day to keep me going.
God is so good to have blessed us with such a precious beautiful healthy baby boy! Though the delivery didn't go as we planned, we're thankful that God kept us all safe and healthy through the experience. And the most important thing is that we've been given the miraculous gift of life in our new family member - Clive Simeon.
14 comments:
Wow! That's horrendous! Kudos to you for trying the VBAC route, though.
Do you have any regrets? Do you wish you had just scheduled a C-section in the first place?
What would we ever do without our he-man hubbies?
I second Karen's comment! I'm thankful for God's goodness in bringing Clive when He did. Did they say what the infection was from? Glad they figured it out when they did!
I'm also curious about the 2nd time around if I should just schedule a c-section again (no, no babies in the near future! - I'm just a planner!)
Can't wait to see more pictures of Clive - he's a cutie!!
Praise the Lord for a healthy mom and baby:).
I loved my epidural also. I got to 9 cm before I could get one. It was a very busy night! The nurse said, "You could continue without one. You're doing so well!" Obviously, I didn't agree with her.:) I was so thankful that I had it during the pushing stage:). Michael was a good-sized first baby for my frame to push out. Recovering from that was lots of fun - hee, hee. I can't believe that you had to have several given - yikes!
How wonderful that you are feeling well enough to do some domestic duties. It's kind of nice to get back into a routine of sorts.
I have been praying for you and your family as you adjust to being a family of 4. Thanks for the details. I'm so glad that you are enjoying your little guy:). What does Chloe think of Clive?
I agree - you're very brave for attempting the VBAC. I'm glad all turned out well. Are you nursing? If so, how's that going?
I know I was discouraged when they would check me and I hadn't progressed at all -- I can't even imagine the discouragement of being told that I was now 5 cm instead of 6 cm like I had been at the last internal check. Everything is so emotional then and just gets more so the more tired you get... speaking of being tired... I am very tired right now and I can't think to comment concisely.
I am so thankful that you are both doing well and also that Matt has been able to help out so much.
Thanks for taking the time to give us the details. It is so interesting to me how every birth experience is different. You were/are a trooper!
I wanted to add my congratulations on your new little man! I'm sorry to hear that the labor/delivery was difficult. Thank the Lord for all the knowledgeable medical staff that you had at your disposal. He's a cutie & I look forward to more pictures/stories of your little family!
I have been waiting anxiously to hear the birth story since I'm in the same situation with deciding about the VBAC. I have another friend who had a horrible experience also and you wonder if it's worth it to build your expectations...and go through all the pain for an easier recovery. I wasn't even open to the idea, but my doctor was surprisingly since moving here. We're still praying about which route to take. In the end you're most of all thankful for a healthy baby no matter how it comes out, but I was hoping for your sake it would've been an easier recovery! Thanks for posting the story and keep taking it easy so you can recover fully. did you have pain at 2 weeks on your incision? I did and the dr said it was because the nerves were getting feeling again. I had been feeling good and felt like it was a setback. Just wondering if it was random with me or other people had that happen too? Take care!
Yikes Alicia-I'm impressed-sounds to me like you did great!! I am a pitocin only, never had natural labor victim so I understand what you say when you had no idea what to expect having regular contractions. . .I too am in horrific pain at 4 centimeters dialated--with both of mine, but I move fairly quickly after that. What a story you have to share with that little guy one day! Did they tell you what the infection was? Do they know what caused it? Congrats again-he is a cutie!
Been there, Alicia - never went into labor but had a very similar day w/ pitocin for my first (and only ever got to 4 cm.) and never went into labor with my second, so the rest were scheduled. It can be a very emotional thing - making the decision, and then looking back on it too. I know it was hard for me, and even can be still when people share their stories and opinions of what I could/should have done differently. But God is so good - He gave you a healthy beautiful son!! Praise the Lord for His hand of protection on you and little Clive! Thanks for sharing your story - I always enjoy them! My only advice - continue to take it easy - the meds are great but, at least in my case, they can be deceiving b/c you do more than you should b/c you feel okay - get all the rest you can!!
WOW Alicia! I think you may have to take that statement back when you said you were no He-Woman! I beg to differ! I was also anxious to see how things turned out for you, because as Shannon said, I'm wrestling with the decision of VBAC or repeat C-section. I'm still kind of on the fence, but am leaning toward another C-section because of many other things that will be going on during that time. Praise the Lord for his mighty hand of protection on you and baby Clive! Get lots of rest and don't do too much because you are feeling better! I say to milk it for all it's worth, at least for the six weeks that you are supposed to! Thanks for taking the time to share your story!
hey friend-
congrats to you!
i hope you are feeling better soon!
wow! i can't believe you went backwards with your dilation! that's the first time i've heard of that... yikes. so glad your midwife was on the same page as you. what a blessing after such a long night!
I'm sorry that things didn't got as you wanted, but am thankful Clive is healthy! I know, I was surprised Simon was over a pound smaller than Luke too! I'm sure that helped with his delivery! And amen for giving that epidural man a medal! :)
Congratulations to you, and your husband and to Chloe - becoming a big sister!! Clive is beautiful - and a perfect size!
It seems labor/delivery never go quite as we plan it. Brady was 6 weeks early and was in an incubator for awhile and in NICU for a week. So I know how scary and sad that can be.
You have a beautiful family - I'm so happy for you!
Post a Comment